The New York Jets HomepageThe Official New York Jets Forums
NYJets2011.com
Sponsors

Sponsors

Old 12-29-2008, 09:37 PM
Rookie

Smile Miss you Leon Hess

Growing up I never appreciated him because he was loyal to a fault. I did always try and buy gas at Hess stations. But now watching the PSL fiasco and the sheer greed of Woody has made me long for the days of an owner that cared about the fans and the players more than the almighty dollar. Woody probably doesn't know the first thing about football, but he knows business and maybe his new stadium will make him a lot more and give him more street cred with the crowd he runs with. I am a big boy and know it is a business, but you don't have to screw everyone to make some extra cash. Woody rethink your stupid plan and actually show that you care like the late Leon Hess would do.
Old 12-30-2008, 05:22 PM
Rookie

Thumbs down Amen

Hess and Wellington Mara were class acts, I don't think they would have given the PSL to the fans that built this team. Leon Hess cared about his fans and it showed. He cared about providing a good product and he remembered how hard it was to build a fan base, especially in the shadow of the team who owns the stadium. WOODY is sqaundering a lot of the good will created by Hess.

WOODY is a Johnson, I still buy Hess gas, won't go out of my way to buy Johnson and Johnson products. I know WOODY does not read this site, might not even know the Jets have a website, but even if he did he won't change the plan. He will also raise ticket prices, good coaches aren't cheap. He is even charging interest on the PSL's. Bad enough you must pay them, but also pay vig.
The NFL will lose fans with this attitude, ask major league baseball.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dertman View Post
Growing up I never appreciated him because he was loyal to a fault. I did always try and buy gas at Hess stations. But now watching the PSL fiasco and the sheer greed of Woody has made me long for the days of an owner that cared about the fans and the players more than the almighty dollar. Woody probably doesn't know the first thing about football, but he knows business and maybe his new stadium will make him a lot more and give him more street cred with the crowd he runs with. I am a big boy and know it is a business, but you don't have to screw everyone to make some extra cash. Woody rethink your stupid plan and actually show that you care like the late Leon Hess would do.
Old 12-30-2008, 06:26 PM
Pro Bowler

Default Hess did move Jets out of Shea you know.

While he was loyal (to a fault), Mr. Hess also took Jets out of NYC because he wanted a bigger piece of the pie, so lets not make him Saint Hess, like Saint Favre. Ed Koch basically told him if he didn't like his deal with NYC then leave Shea and he did. Rumor had it Hess got annoyed about how Shea was getting run down and the bathrooms were disgusting and if you've ever been to a Hess gas station when he ran the company that would never happen there so why at "his" football stadium.

It wasn't until his treatment of Dennis Byrd that fans warmed up to Mr. Hess. A lot of us were "pi$$ed" at him for moving the team in the first place (we didn't mind how Shea looked).
Old 12-30-2008, 06:31 PM
Rookie

Smile I wish they built near Shea

They could have torn that World's Fair stuff (who cares, really) and built a stadium or made Citi Field Multi use, anything to keep it a New York team. The City and Long Island fans would have been happy.
Old 12-30-2008, 06:44 PM
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetpack View Post
They could have torn that World's Fair stuff (who cares, really) and built a stadium or made Citi Field Multi use, anything to keep it a New York team. The City and Long Island fans would have been happy.
Mets were not going to get back into bed with Jets, so forget that idea.

World's Fair "stuff" is in a public park. You're not going to turn a public park into a stadium without off an entire borough.

West Side Stadium was only option and you can blame Charles Dolan for that not happening. Wonder why Cablevision doesn't have NFL Network, it's because of WSS infringing on his Madison Square Garden turf.
Old 12-30-2008, 09:30 PM
Help Me - I'm Addicted

Send a message via Yahoo to Jets337

Leon Hess hired Rich Kotite off a 6-10 season, firing Pete Carrol. Pete now controls arguably the best college football team franchise in America, while Rich Kotite asks politely, "do you want to supersize this order?". Hess was a nice guy, a good business man in his younger days, but not a good Team owner. He brought in Parcells, and that was it.
Old 12-30-2008, 10:12 PM
Hall Of Famer

He brought in Parcells, and that was it.[/QUOTE]

What about Superbowl III? Even though that was an eternity ago, lol!

Last edited by GastineauSackMaster99; 12-30-2008 at 10:19 PM.
Old 12-30-2008, 11:15 PM
Rookie

Thumbs down West Side Stadium

I was half joking, the Jets made their choice. Dolan is a jerk, the tv ads he ran were assinine. Funny thing was that he threatened fans that if it was built we would have to pay for PSL's ha ha ha ha ha ha

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooter View Post
Mets were not going to get back into bed with Jets, so forget that idea.

World's Fair "stuff" is in a public park. You're not going to turn a public park into a stadium without off an entire borough.

West Side Stadium was only option and you can blame Charles Dolan for that not happening. Wonder why Cablevision doesn't have NFL Network, it's because of WSS infringing on his Madison Square Garden turf.
Old 12-30-2008, 11:26 PM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooter View Post
It wasn't until his treatment of Dennis Byrd that fans warmed up to Mr. Hess. A lot of us were "pi$$ed" at him for moving the team in the first place (we didn't mind how Shea looked).
I have to say - being from NJ ... I wish the old regime would let bygones be bygones about the move. I mean jesus ... it was more than half age of the team ago ... come on ... let it go.