The New York Jets HomepageThe Official New York Jets Forums
NYJets2011.com
Sponsors

Sponsors

Old 01-18-2014, 05:07 PM
Rookie

Default 2014 NY Jets mock draft

It's still pretty early, but I've put out my first full round Jets mock draft. I have a description for each pick, I didn't include the compensatory picks because there is still no way to know where they will be; although the Jets will have 4 increase their total picks to 12. Let me know what you all think with some feedback. Enjoy.

New York Jets 2014 Mock Draft 1/17/14

Rd.1 Pick 18: Eric Ebron TE North Carolina - Whether it's Geno Smith, Mark Sanchez, or someone else as the starting QB in 2014, one thing is for sure; the Jets sorely need playmakers on offense particularly at WR and TE. In Geno's defense 2013 wasn't a truly fair evaluation of his ability to run a NFL offense seeing as he can't throw the ball to himself. Jeremy Kerley led the team in receiving yards for a second year in a row with 523, not exactly top notch. Kerley is a 3rd string slot receiver, maybe a 2nd string at best. Kellen Winslow was a 1 year experiment that didn't pan out, he will be gone next year; they will most likely hold on to Jeff Cumberland who could become a solid #2. Ebron has 1,805 career receiving yards and 8 TDs; he almost amassed 1,000 in his senior year. When it comes to the tight end position Ebron can do it all: he can run crisp and quick routes, has good hands, can block well, and is a deep/end zone threat. Ebron would be a huge upgrade to this lacking offense.

Rd.2 Pick 17: Brett Smith QB Wyoming - I'm going to shake things up a bit with this pick; I may be a little biased on this one seeing as I'm currently a student at UW but it does make sense. Since the entire crop of top tier rated QBs will be off the board in the 1st round, Brett Smith is a solid investment for a 2nd rounder. I know it might be hard to imagine Idzik&Co. making a repeat move drafting a QB in the 2nd round, but Idzik acknowledged they would be looking at QBs. Many projections have Smith being the only QB to go in the 2nd round; some have 1 or 2 others. Smith broke records during his junior year at UW. He has 8,829 career passing yards, and 76 TDs to 28INTs. Smith is a legitimate rushing threat as well. He has 1,531 career rushing yards, and 20 TDs. Smith was a junior this year, meaning he acquired these stats in only 3 years of playing. Drafting Smith makes it much easier to dump Sanchez to save some money as well as upgrade the position; it would also make for a fiery QB competition come next season.

Rd.3 Pick 5*: Paul Richardson WR Colorado - I have an asterisk next to this pick because the placement of the pick received from Tampa depends on Darrelle Revis being on their roster come March, I'm assuming he will be. If Revis is cut from Tampa's roster before early March then the 3rd rounder received from the Bucs will become the 4th pick in the 4th round. Paul Richardson would be a steal in the 3rd round. He's projected to go late 2nd to early 3rd, but with the depth of the WR class I'd wager he'll still be on the board. Richardson has 2,412 career receiving yards, and 21 TDs. 1,343 of those yards and 10 of the touchdowns came this year ending his college career on a high note. With Ebron starting at TE and other possible TE and WR additions in free agency this would strongly increase the potency of the Jets' offense. Even if Richardson isn't as effective as the Jets would like right away, he would make a good kick returner or possibly a wildcat experiment.

Rd.3 Pick 16: Marcus Smith DE Louisville - Many projections had Smith going as low as the 5th round, but due to his strong finish at the end of the season his stock has soared. Smith is a versatile talent, and would fit Rex Ryan's scheme like a glove. Both the 3-4 and 4-3 defense would suit Smith well; he could even play standing up and could possibly fill the hole left by Calvin Pace at the OLB position across from Quinton Coples. Smith finished his senior year with a whopping 15 sacks, 5 more than the other 3 years he's played combined. He followed it up with 4 forced fumbles (2 recovered), 19 tackles for a loss, and 3 pass deflections. Smith is a raw talent, but he has all the intangibles to be a force to be reckoned with. He can rush the passer, and also drop into coverage if need be. One fun fact about Smith is he even played some quarterback, one could call him a poor man's Sheldon Richardson. Something tells me Rex Ryan would be ecstatic to get Smith on board.

Rd.4 Pick 15: Andre Williams RB Boston College - Andre Williams would be the perfect complement back to make a 1 - 2 punch with Chris Ivory, and Bilal Powell as the 3rd down back. Williams really came onto the scene his senior year, with 2,177 rushing yards and 18 TDs. His career stats are 3,739 rushing yards, and 28 TDs, he was fairly irrelevant before his senior year. He has a similar style to Ivory, more of a between-the-blocks power rusher; this would leave the backfield pass catching responsibility to Powell. With an Ivory-Williams combo, gang green would really be able to revive the ground and pound game to complement the renewed passing attack.

Rd.5 Pick 14: Rashaad Reynolds CB Oregon State - With Antonio Cromartie's status up in the air the Jets need to sure up the CB position. Cromartie will either test free agency, or restructure his contract; there is no way the Jets will pay almost 15 million for a CB who had the kind of season Cromartie did. Cromartie has said he wants to retire a Jet, but unless he is willing to take a significantly lesser pay check the chances aren't in his favor to return to NY. Even if the Jets retain Cromartie they could use more depth in the secondary. Reynolds is a great playmaker, and ball hawking corner. The aggressive corner finished his colligate career with some impressive stats: 147 solo tackles, 218 total tackles, 6 tackles for a loss, 1 sack, 10 INTs, 2 forced and recovered fumbles both of which he returned for TDs, as well as 25 passes defended. 6 of his INTs, and both fumbles returned for TDs were in his senior year. He also spent some time returning punts and kicks. Reynolds would be another steal in the 5th round, and the Jets could improve the depth of their 22nd ranked pass defense.

Rd.6 Pick 19: John Urschel OG Penn State - The only part of the New York Jets' roster that is more solid than the O-line is the D-line. With that being said, the only real weakness is at the guard position. Free agents this offseason on the Jets' O-line include: Austin Howard (RT), Willie Colon (RG), and Vladimir Ducasse (OG). It's pretty safe to say Howard will be back with a new deal next year seeing as he has been a very solid tackle. Colon brought fire and a good work ethic to the team, but he tore his bicep in the final game of the season which complicates the situation. Ducasse is a complete bust and will almost definitely be gone next year. Even if Colon is back next year, Urschel would make a good backup or competition for the position since LG Brian Winters was somewhat shaky in his rookie season. Urschel, the 317 lb. prospect ranks 12 out of 284 OGs in his class, and runs a 5.27 40 which isn't bad for a lineman his size. Urschel was also elected All-American his senior year.

Rd.7 Pick 18: Tre' Boston FS North Carolina - Considering Tre' has 281 total tackles, 169 solo tackles, 3 FFs, and 13 INTs it?s pretty mind blowing he is projected to go in the 7th round or possibly even be undrafted. He also has a passing and kick return touchdown, wildcat anyone? With Ed Reed a free agent and a rising star in Antonio Allen Tre' would be a great addition to the safety mix. Another addition to the questionable secondary would round out an overall solid draft for Idzik&Co.

Summary: This offseason looks to be a promising one for gang green if Idzik and the front office play their cards right. Aside from their 8 regular picks, the Jets are also looking at 4 compensatory picks as well. Right now the Jets are hovering around 20 million dollars in cap space; if they cut or trade Sanchez, Cromartie, and Holmes that number could double to about 40 million. That would make for some serious spending money; which means they can splurge in free agency to fill their needs and follow it up with a strong talent-based draft. This is a fairly early mock, with a little over 3 months until the draft. I will post updated ones as we get closer following free agency, and the combine. Thanks for reading.

Last edited by JSteeze91; 01-21-2014 at 06:11 PM.
Old 01-20-2014, 06:20 PM
Super Bowl Champions
Help Me - I'm Addicted

Send a message via ICQ to gmf1369 Send a message via Yahoo to gmf1369

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSteeze91 View Post
Let me know what you all think with some feedback.

Rd.1 Pick 18: Eric Ebron TE North Carolina
(Ebron won't make it to 18, he is a Top 15 Prospect...)

Rd.2 Pick 17: Brett Smith QB Wyoming
(5th Round Prospect, maybe best 4th Round...)

Rd.3 Pick 5*: Paul Richardson WR Colorado
(Jets shouldn't wait to Round 3 for WR, as it is their #1 Need...)

Rd.3 Pick 16: Marcus Smith DE Louisville
(a good fit but another must need with one of the first two picks...)

Rd.4 Pick 15: Andre Williams RB Boston College
(The Jets need a speed/receiving back, not another power back...)

Rd.5 Pick 14: Rashaad Reynolds CB Oregon State
(maybe...)

Rd.6 Pick 19: John Urschel OG Penn State
(maybe...)

Rd.7 Pick 18: Tre' Boston FS North Carolina
(late 2nd/early 3rd Round Prospect in the 7th Round, hmm...)
Too many decisions, roster moves to be determined before we really can understand the focus of the front office...

WR Rankings: S. Watkins, M. Evans, M. Lee, K. Benjamin, A. Robinson are the top 5 all 1st rounders...

Jets should take one of them, Robinson is perfect fit...

TE Rankings: T. Niklas, CJ Fiedorowicz, M. Jensen, J.D. Duncan, J. Murphy are 3rd Round Prospects...

Jets can wait with one of their 2 3rd round selection to draft a vertical threat tight end...

DE/OLB Rankings: K. Martin, J. Jeffcoat, T. Murphy are 2nd Round prospects that would make sense as Rush Linebackers for Rex Ryan's hybrid 4-3/3-4 Defense...

These are the three major needs for the Jets heading into the draft... We have 4 picks in the first 3 Rounds so we can either double up WRs or TEs... After these picks then grabbing a RB like LaDarius Perkins Mississippi State, or DeAnthony Thomas from Oregon in the 4th round to compliment both Ivory & Powell...
Old 01-20-2014, 08:54 PM
Rookie

Quote:
(5th Round Prospect, maybe best 4th Round...), (late 2nd/early 3rd Round Prospect in the 7th Round, hmm...)
Thanks for your feed back. I really appreciate it. On Brett Smith, many scouts have rated him as a mid 2nd to early 4th round pick. On CBS's "NFLDraftScout" he is the 8th rated overall QB, some other sites have him as high as the 6th overall QB behind Tajh Boyd; and since there are most likely going to be 4-5 QBs off the board in the 1st round I don't think it's too crazy to say he could go somewhere in the 2nd round. Tre' Boston is also projected to be a 7th rounder or a UFA by NFLDraftScout. I made my picks for this mock assuming the Jets are going to acquire at least 1 if not 2 of WRs in free agency which is why I have them taking a WR in the 3rd and not the 1st.

Last edited by JSteeze91; 01-21-2014 at 06:01 AM.
Old 01-21-2014, 09:41 AM
sgreene23

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSteeze91 View Post
It's still pretty early, but I've put out my first full round Jets mock draft. I have a description for each pick, I didn't include the compensatory picks because there is still no way to know where they will be; although the Jets will have 4 increase their total picks to 12. Let me know what you all think with some feedback. Enjoy.

New York Jets 2014 Mock Draft 1/17/14

Rd.1 Pick 18: Eric Ebron TE North Carolina - Whether it's Geno Smith, Mark Sanchez, or someone else as the starting QB in 2014, one thing is for sure; the Jets sorely need playmakers on offense particularly at WR and TE. In Geno's defense 2013 wasn't a truly fair evaluation of his ability to run a NFL offense seeing as he can't throw the ball to himself. Jeremy Kerley led the team in receiving yards for a second year in a row with 523, not exactly top notch. Kerley is a 3rd string slot receiver, maybe a 2nd string at best. Kellen Winslow was a 1 year experiment that didn't pan out, he will be gone next year; they will most likely hold on to Jeff Cumberland who could become a solid #2. Ebron has 1,805 career receiving yards and 8 TDs; he almost amassed 1,000 in his senior year. When it comes to the tight end position Ebron can do it all: he can run crisp and quick routes, has good hands, can block well, and is a deep/end zone threat. Ebron would be a huge upgrade to this lacking offense.

Rd.2 Pick 17: Brett Smith QB Wyoming - I'm going to shake things up a bit with this pick; I may be a little biased on this one seeing as I'm currently a student at UW but it does make sense. Since the entire crop of top tier rated QBs will be off the board in the 1st round, Brett Smith is a solid investment for a 2nd rounder. I know it might be hard to imagine Idzik&Co. making a repeat move drafting a QB in the 2nd round, but Idzik acknowledged they would be looking at QBs. Many projections have Smith being the only QB to go in the 2nd round; some have 1 or 2 others. Smith broke records during his junior year at UW. He has 8,829 career passing yards, and 76 TDs to 28INTs. Smith is a legitimate rushing threat as well. He has 1,531 career rushing yards, and 20 TDs. Drafting Smith makes it much easier to dump Sanchez to save some money as well as upgrade the position; it would also make for a fiery QB competition come next season.

Rd.3 Pick 5*: Paul Richardson WR Colorado - I have an asterisk next to this pick because the placement of the pick received from Tampa depends on Darrelle Revis being on their roster come March, I'm assuming he will be. If Revis is cut from Tampa's roster before early March then the 3rd rounder received from the Bucs will become the 4th pick in the 4th round. Paul Richardson would be a steal in the 3rd round. He's projected to go late 2nd to early 3rd, but with the depth of the WR class I'd wager he'll still be on the board. Richardson has 2,412 career receiving yards, and 21 TDs. 1,343 of those yards and 10 of the touchdowns came this year ending his college career on a high note. With Ebron starting at TE and other possible TE and WR additions in free agency this would strongly increase the potency of the Jets' offense. Even if Richardson isn't as effective as the Jets would like right away, he would make a good kick returner or possibly a wildcat experiment.

Rd.3 Pick 16: Marcus Smith DE Louisville - Many projections had Smith going as low as the 5th round, but due to his strong finish at the end of the season his stock has soared. Smith is a versatile talent, and would fit Rex Ryan's scheme like a glove. Both the 3-4 and 4-3 defense would suit Smith well; he could even play standing up and could possibly fill the hole left by Calvin Pace at the OLB position across from Quinton Coples. Smith finished his senior year with a whopping 15 sacks, 5 more than the other 3 years he's played combined. He followed it up with 4 forced fumbles (2 recovered), 19 tackles for a loss, and 3 pass deflections. Smith is a raw talent, but he has all the intangibles to be a force to be reckoned with. He can rush the passer, and also drop into coverage if need be. One fun fact about Smith is he even played some quarterback, one could call him a poor man's Sheldon Richardson. Something tells me Rex Ryan would be ecstatic to get Smith on board.

Rd.4 Pick 15: Andre Williams RB Boston College - Andre Williams would be the perfect complement back to make a 1 - 2 punch with Chris Ivory, and Bilal Powell as the 3rd down back. Williams really came onto the scene his senior year, with 2,177 rushing yards and 18 TDs. His career stats are 3,739 rushing yards, and 28 TDs, he was fairly irrelevant before his senior year. He has a similar style to Ivory, more of a between-the-blocks power rusher; this would leave the backfield pass catching responsibility to Powell. With an Ivory-Williams combo, gang green would really be able to revive the ground and pound game to complement the renewed passing attack.

Rd.5 Pick 14: Rashaad Reynolds CB Oregon State - With Antonio Cromartie's status up in the air the Jets need to sure up the CB position. Cromartie will either test free agency, or restructure his contract; there is no way the Jets will pay almost 15 million for a CB who had the kind of season Cromartie did. Cromartie has said he wants to retire a Jet, but unless he is willing to take a significantly lesser pay check the chances aren't in his favor to return to NY. Even if the Jets retain Cromartie they could use more depth in the secondary. Reynolds is a great playmaker, and ball hawking corner. The aggressive corner finished his colligate career with some impressive stats: 147 solo tackles, 218 total tackles, 6 tackles for a loss, 1 sack, 10 INTs, 2 forced and recovered fumbles both of which he returned for TDs, as well as 25 passes defended. 6 of his INTs, and both fumbles returned for TDs were in his senior year. He also spent some time returning punts and kicks. Reynolds would be another steal in the 5th round, and the Jets could improve the depth of their 22nd ranked pass defense.

Rd.6 Pick 19: John Urschel OG Penn State - The only part of the New York Jets' roster that is more solid than the O-line is the D-line. With that being said, the only real weakness is at the guard position. Free agents this offseason on the Jets' O-line include: Austin Howard (RT), Willie Colon (RG), and Vladimir Ducasse (OG). It's pretty safe to say Howard will be back with a new deal next year seeing as he has been a very solid tackle. Colon brought fire and a good work ethic to the team, but he tore his bicep in the final game of the season which complicates the situation. Ducasse is a complete bust and will almost definitely be gone next year. Even if Colon is back next year, Urschel would make a good backup or competition for the position since LG Brian Winters was somewhat shaky in his rookie season. Urschel, the 317 lb. prospect ranks 12 out of 284 OGs in his class, and runs a 5.27 40 which isn't bad for a lineman his size. Urschel was also elected All-American his senior year.

Rd.7 Pick 18: Tre' Boston FS North Carolina - Considering Tre' has 281 total tackles, 169 solo tackles, 3 FFs, and 13 INTs it?s pretty mind blowing he is projected to go in the 7th round or possibly even be undrafted. He also has a passing and kick return touchdown, wildcat anyone? With Ed Reed a free agent and a rising star in Antonio Allen Tre' would be a great addition to the safety mix. Another addition to the questionable secondary would round out an overall solid draft for Idzik&Co.

Summary: This offseason looks to be a promising one for gang green if Idzik and the front office play their cards right. Aside from their 8 regular picks, the Jets are also looking at 4 compensatory picks as well. Right now the Jets are hovering around 20 million dollars in cap space; if they cut or trade Sanchez, Cromartie, and Holmes that number could double to about 40 million. That would make for some serious spending money; which means they can splurge in free agency to fill their needs and follow it up with a strong talent-based draft. This is a fairly early mock, with a little over 3 months until the draft. I will post updated ones as we get closer following free agency, and the combine. Thanks for reading.
I like alot of the draft however unless we solve many of our holes through free agency I doubt we draft a quarterback with our 2nd rounders. Maybe we take a falling QB with our 2nd 3rd round pick or a day 3 pick. We have too many pressing needs to spend a 2nd rounder on a quarterback that may never see a snap for our team. I'd rather address a our needs, TE/OG/OT/CB/FS assuming we take that receiver with our 1st rounder.
Old 01-21-2014, 12:00 PM
Hall Of Famer
Help Me - I'm Addicted

I don't agree with a lot of these picks.

Don't think we need to take a QB as early as the 2nd round, if at all.

Don't think Ebron is the right selection (I would rather take Amaro if we were set on taking a TE).

Don't think Paul Richardson is a 'steal' early in the 3rd. This is such a deep WR draft, surely a better WR prospect will fall-IMO. Or maybe WR should be addressed in the second, instead of taking a QB?

I like Smith (DE) as a prospect to play Pass Rushing OLB for us, but I'd rather go after a CB in that spot, if not earlier. I also think we need an OT and although this is a deep draft for O-linemen, I'd like us to get one that could step right in and compete for the starting job- not a project player. This would be a good spot for an OT.

I like the rest of the picks but I DON'T think ANY of them will fall to those selections. Williams, IMO, will go earlier. And I don't think he is the right fit for our RB corps. I think we need a speed back who can catch out of the backfield. I don't think Powell can be that guy. And frankly, I think we will have a better chance going after a guy like that in FA or once cuts are made or going after an UFA.

I don;t know much about Urschel but I like Reynolds and Boston. I highly doubt either of them will be available in the 5th and 7th rounds. Who knows, but I doubt it.
Old 01-21-2014, 05:59 PM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by peppep View Post
I don't agree with a lot of these picks.

Don't think we need to take a QB as early as the 2nd round, if at all.

Don't think Ebron is the right selection (I would rather take Amaro if we were set on taking a TE).

Don't think Paul Richardson is a 'steal' early in the 3rd. This is such a deep WR draft, surely a better WR prospect will fall-IMO. Or maybe WR should be addressed in the second, instead of taking a QB?

I like Smith (DE) as a prospect to play Pass Rushing OLB for us, but I'd rather go after a CB in that spot, if not earlier. I also think we need an OT and although this is a deep draft for O-linemen, I'd like us to get one that could step right in and compete for the starting job- not a project player. This would be a good spot for an OT.

I like the rest of the picks but I DON'T think ANY of them will fall to those selections. Williams, IMO, will go earlier. And I don't think he is the right fit for our RB corps. I think we need a speed back who can catch out of the backfield. I don't think Powell can be that guy. And frankly, I think we will have a better chance going after a guy like that in FA or once cuts are made or going after an UFA.

I don;t know much about Urschel but I like Reynolds and Boston. I highly doubt either of them will be available in the 5th and 7th rounds. Who knows, but I doubt it.
Quote:
I like alot of the draft however unless we solve many of our holes through free agency I doubt we draft a quarterback with our 2nd rounders. Maybe we take a falling QB with our 2nd 3rd round pick or a day 3 pick. We have too many pressing needs to spend a 2nd rounder on a quarterback that may never see a snap for our team. I'd rather address a our needs, TE/OG/OT/CB/FS assuming we take that receiver with our 1st rounder.
Thanks for the replies. I appreciate your feedback. Again, I've been using all types of draft and scouting sites to rate these prospects. I've compared all rankings, but the one I used for the final say of placement for a prospect is CBS Sports' "NFLDraftScout." Check out the rankings for yourself here: http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/prospectrankings

With that being said, I also did my own fair share of research on each player as you can see in the descriptions above mainly with statistics. I also read the scouting reports on each prospect. Also, keep in mind that the draft is prior to free agency so I'm assuming the Jets will have signed players to fill certain holes.

Coples of Sacks - You make a valid point, I'm going on us signing 1 if not 2 WRs in free agency. It's starting to sound more and more like Eric Decker is a strong possibility. It's very possible we could take a QB with a 3rd rounder seeing as we have 2. I have us taking Brett Smith in the 2nd round because he is a highly under rated player and is ranked as the 6th best overall QB behind Tajh Boyd of Clemson. I'm guessing 4-5 QBs will be off the board after the 1st round. NFLDraftScout has Smith projected to go mid 2nd round to late 3rd/early 4th.

peppep - Paul Richardson is projected to go 2nd-3rd round. I believe he would be a steal considering his stats.

I think we will go for a CB in free agency if Cromartie doesn't resign after he is cut. That's why I have the Jets taking one in the 7th. Tre' Boston is projected to go 7th round or a UFA.

I agree with you that Williams is a talent deserving to go in the 3rd round, but he is projected to go in the 4th right now.

Reynolds is the 141st overall ranked prospect and is projected to go between the 4th and 5th round. So he very well could be off the board but it's also a fairly deep CB class.

Again, thanks for the the feedback guys but keep in mind the draft is very circumstantial. I'm making these picks assuming we pick up players in FA, and that projections for players will change over time following the combine. I will post a new mock once we get close to the draft, and things pan out more. In the meantime, please continue to post your comments and thought. Thanks!

Last edited by JSteeze91; 01-21-2014 at 06:09 PM.
Old 01-29-2014, 08:03 PM
Rookie

"Smith is a more controlled version of (2012 Heisman Trophy Winner) Johnny Manziel. So I'd much rather have Smith than Manziel and I can get Smith in the 2nd-3rd round while if you want Manziel, you need to take him top-15 because someone will take him that high. Smith is the first underclassman QB to declare so time will tell where he falls in the QB pecking order, but he'll be behind Teddy Bridgewater and a few others." - Dane Brugler (CBS and NFLDraftScout analyst)

Just thought I'd throw that in there to help justify my 2nd rounder... Believe me, he will be big time once he get in the NFL. Here's the link for the entire article:

http://www.mwcconnection.com/2014-nf...h-second-round

Last edited by JSteeze91; 01-29-2014 at 08:07 PM.

Tags
1st round, 2014, draft, jets, nfl