The New York Jets HomepageThe Official New York Jets Forums
NYJets2011.com
Sponsors

Sponsors
New York Jets Forums / Jets Forum: All Things JETS! / Jets Playbook / Should Matt Simms have a real shot to get starting job???

Old 05-25-2013, 01:43 PM
Super Bowl Champions
Help Me - I'm Addicted

Send a message via ICQ to gmf1369 Send a message via Yahoo to gmf1369
Default Should Matt Simms have a real shot to get starting job???

Quote:
STRENGTHS
  • Intangibles
  • Poise and Leadership
  • Release

AREAS FOR IMPROVEMENT
  • Accuracy / Consistency

Simms obviously has great genetics with his father being a former NFL star and his brother was with the Tampa Bay Buccaneers, among other teams in the league -- who is retired from the NFL. Simms is very poised in the pocket and a tremendous leader. He has a quick release and above average arm strength.
  • Everything screams Nick Foles carbon copy...
  • If what Marty Mornhinweg said is true that, his offense doesn't need an accurate quarterback to run it, well then he should be the fore runner...
  • Matt Simms has a leg up with UDFA WR Zach Rogers who signed this off-season with our Jets and has been noted to have a real solid chance of making the 53 as long as he stays healthy...

What do you think, thoughts???

Last edited by gmf1369; 05-25-2013 at 01:56 PM.
Old 05-25-2013, 01:50 PM
Pro Bowler

Simm's brother is not in the NFL any longer. I think you meant he was with the Bucs. The other day in OTAs he was no. 3 Qb over Greg but not sure that has any meaning at all. Wasn't he on the Jets practice squad for part of last season. I'm not sure if he was on the PS for a few weeks or not but he was in training camp last season. I would be surprised if he is given any real chance to play this year for the Jets. At most he could be the no. 3. Probably PS or cut.
Old 05-25-2013, 01:51 PM
Hall Of Famer
Help Me - I'm Addicted

Sure why not. Then McElroy should be given the same opportunity. Didn't McElroy beat out Simms last year to be #3 behind Sanchez and Tebow?
Old 05-25-2013, 01:53 PM
Super Bowl Champions
Help Me - I'm Addicted

B-man his father does not play in the NFL anymore also

I think he shouold get the same shot as anyone else...why not?

My Sports Teams Baseball Cardinals Football Jets & Cardinals Hockey Bruins & Blues Basketball Celtics
Old 05-25-2013, 01:55 PM
Super Bowl Champions
Help Me - I'm Addicted

Quote:
Originally Posted by NapS33 View Post
Sure why not. Then McElroy should be given the same opportunity. Didn't McElroy beat out Simms last year to be #3 behind Sanchez and Tebow?
Tebow was traded for, he was given the roster spot... As for McElroy he also being drafted the year before was guaranteed by then GM Mike Tannebaum...

Simms wasn't given a fair shot to make the roster...

This year it is an open competition or at least they say... If anyone could command this offense to the desires of the O.C., Simms should be the front runner...
Old 05-25-2013, 02:10 PM
Super Bowl Champions
Help Me - I'm Addicted

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmf1369 View Post
Tebow was traded for, he was given the roster spot... As for McElroy he also being drafted the year before was guaranteed by then GM Mike Tannebaum...

This year it is an open competition or at least they say... If anyone could command this offense to the desires of the O.C., Simms should be the front runner...
what i have seen which is not much...I like

My Sports Teams Baseball Cardinals Football Jets & Cardinals Hockey Bruins & Blues Basketball Celtics
Old 05-25-2013, 02:29 PM
Hall Of Famer
Help Me - I'm Addicted

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmf1369 View Post

True. But just because you get traded for doesn't mean you keep the job automatically. It's not like they traded a first round pick. If McElroy or Simms played better they could move to #2 IF Tebow failed. Obviously Tebow did enough to keep his #2 status and get a few plays a week. Teams scout each other all the time and watch to see who cuts who... if someone really felt Simms was better they could have signed him. Tyler Bray beat him out at Tennessee. For whatever it's worth neither Simms nor Tyler Bray were good enough (in NFL scouts eyes) to get drafted. Bray is on the KC Chiefs roster.
Old 05-25-2013, 02:48 PM
Super Bowl Champions
Help Me - I'm Addicted

Quote:
Originally Posted by NapS33 View Post
True. But just because you get traded for doesn't mean you keep the job automatically. It's not like they traded a first round pick. If McElroy or Simms played better they could move to #2 IF Tebow failed. Obviously Tebow did enough to keep his #2 status and get a few plays a week. Teams scout each other all the time and watch to see who cuts who... if someone really felt Simms was better they could have signed him. Tyler Bray beat him out at Tennessee. For whatever it's worth neither Simms nor Tyler Bray were good enough (in NFL scouts eyes) to get drafted. Bray is on the KC Chiefs roster.
Once again, this was the Tannebaum regime and they made a point to automatically give Tebow that roster spot... Remember all those public declarations on how they were going to use him, which they never did...

McElroy was given the spot do to his contract -- They didn't want to have, just another 4 year contract trashed so they can sign an UDFA to be #3 QB... They rather place Simms on Pratice Squad which they did... He remained there for most of the year... BTW the team really debated on carrying four QBs last year being that they wanted to sign Simms to the 53... just an fyi...
Old 05-25-2013, 02:49 PM
Hall Of Famer

Send a message via Yahoo to bcr1

mcelroy make jets miss playoffs too
Old 05-25-2013, 03:52 PM
Hall Of Famer
Help Me - I'm Addicted

That was Rex opening his mouth not Sparano or Tannenbaum.
Jets have carried 4 QBs in the past under Ryan, back in 2009, Sanchez, Clemens, Ainge & O'Connell. remember when the Patriots cut O'Connell (final cuts) and he was claimed by the Lions and the Jets traded with the Lions for a waiver guy.