The New York Jets HomepageThe Official New York Jets Forums
NYJets2011.com
Sponsors

Sponsors
New York Jets Forums / Jets Forum: All Things JETS! / Jets Playbook / Is Mark Sanchez a Superbowl Quarterback? Don't Bet on It

View Poll Results: Is Mark Sanchez the Jets' quaterback for the long haul?
Definitely 5 16.67%
I think so 11 36.67%
I thought so, but now I'm not so sure 11 36.67%
No way! 3 10.00%
Voters: 30. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-30-2011, 05:25 PM
Rookie

Default Is Mark Sanchez a Superbowl Quarterback? Don't Bet on It

Is Mark Sanchez a Superbowl Quarterback? Don’t Bet on It.

I am a retired director of research, and I have the time to do worthwhile things like worry about the future of the New York Jets. And I am worried, because Mark Sanchez is not, and probably will never be a Superbowl quarterback. After looking pretty hard at all quarterbacks who led their teams to the Superbowl over the past thirty years, I can make the argument that while the Jets have been really lucky to make the AFC Championships the past two years, the odds of the Jets making the Superbowl in the future with Sanchez as quarterback are extremely low. Here’s why:

Mark Sanchez is the most inaccurate starting QB in the NFL.

In Sanchez’ rookie season of 2009, he was ranked 29th of 32 qualifying quarterbacks in completion percentage. Who was ranked lower? Matthew Stafford (who is now above-average in accuracy), Brady Quinn and JaMarcus Russell. In Sanchez’ second year he again ranked 29th in completion percentage among 31 qualifying passers. Mark ranked above Derek Anderson and Jimmy Clausen. This year, Mark has improved to rank 28th! Who’s worse? Joe Flacco and Sam Bradford (both having bad years as they were quite accurate last year), Christian Ponder, Curtis Painter and Blaine Gabbert. Who remembers Brady Quinn, JaMarcus Russel, Derek Anderson or Jimmy Clausen? Who will remember Curtis Painter or Blaine Gabbert? Inaccurate quarterbacks are consigned to the dustbin of history.

Mark’s beginning three years at the bottom of the completion percentage rankings make him the most consistently inaccurate passer in the NFL. It is hard to find quarterbacks in football history who have started out that badly, because they are usually benched. You’d have to go back to Joey Harrington during his 2002-2004 seasons with the Lions. Remember Joey Harrington?

Superbowl QB’s may start out as inaccurate passers, but they improve rapidly.

36 quarterbacks led their teams to Superbowls since 1981, many of them multiple times, and two thirds of them became starters either their rookie or second years, so Mark is not alone. Superbowl QB’s first years as starters often did not go well. Several began their starting careers as the most inaccurate passers in the league, including John Elway in 1983, Rich Gannon in 1990 and Kerry Collins in 1995. But all improved rapidly. Of the 13 Superbowl QB’s that ranked in the bottom quarter of their peer group in accuracy their first year as starters, only three remained in the bottom quarter by their second year, and none by their third year. This would make Mark Sanchez quite the outlier.

For the trivia-hungry, I must mention Jim Plunkett. Plunkett was a God-awful QB with the Patriots and then the 49’ers from 1971 to 1977. As a second-stringer in Oakland 1980, he had to fill in when Dan Pastorini broke his leg. He led the Raiders to a Superbowl win with terrible statistics. By his next Superbowl season, 1983, he had transformed into a top quarter QB in accuracy. Just goes to show you, anything is possible if you’re willing to wait long enough.

The year they first took their teams to the Superbowl, Superbowl QB’s were extremely accurate. 17 of 36 passers achieved top quarter completion percentage rankings. Only 7 of 36 QB’s fell into the lower half and only 2 of 36 ranked in the bottom quarter. One was Eli Manning, who after three years became a very accurate passer, holding out faint hope for Sanchez; the other was Rex Grossman, who lost his starting job the year after leading the Bears to the Superbowl in 2006.

The Jets have a reasonable shot at the playoffs, considering that the Bengals, Titans, Broncos and even Raiders have tougher schedules going forward. The Bears and Texans are dying for an experienced quarterback to finish their season though, and a bidding war might be just what we need. If the Redskins win at home on Sunday, I want Mark Brunell as our quarterback for the remainder of 2011.
Old 11-30-2011, 05:37 PM
Rookie

I thought so, but now I'm not so sure
Old 11-30-2011, 05:41 PM
Veteran

I will agree that Mark has not been an accurate passer the least bit his first 2 and a half years. From what i have seen mark do he will never be a tom brady or peyton manning ever. Idk what it is about Mark but he cant do the quick throws that accurate. Whenever we do a quick pass to a receiver like the pats do all the time Mark under throws or over throws him. Same with quick slants id say about %50 of the time he throws it accurate.

Now on the other hand i see some great things from sanchez that can make him a great QB but once again not a manning or brady. One thing is he can run and scramble very well. knowing this idk why schotty does not call more bootleg plays and give mark the option to run. also i dont see why we dont to sprint plays. Mark plays a lot better out of the pocket probably because of his height. in my eyes he is more of a gunslinger type like a big ben, favre, or Namath. all great QBs who arent amazing accurate like brady or manning.

whenever Mark scrambles out of the pocket and throws he is mostly spot on with a rocket of a throw. look at his most recent pass in the Bills game at the end, he scramble out and made a fantastic throw to holmes in the endzone. Another thing Mark can do is direct his receivers in the middle of the play while he is being chased by lineman. Idk how he stays composed when throwing on the run but he looks so much more calm then he does when he is in the pocket doing a one step slant throw.

after watching him play for almost 3 years i can clearly see where sanchez can be a great QB and where he will not do good. so i hope schotty would be able to see this and change his system to fit marks strengths. look at what denver did for tebow. if you tryed to make him fot your system he would fall on his face but the O coordinator has changed his system to fits tebow this is what we need to do for mark. let him do his thing and he will do great there is a reason he was the 6th pick with only one year of college under his belt. Also another QB to throw for 4tds with a less then %50 completion was Joe Namath
Old 11-30-2011, 05:42 PM
Pro Bowler

Rex Grossman.
Old 11-30-2011, 05:43 PM
Help Me - I'm Addicted

Send a message via Yahoo to Jets337

Quote:
Originally Posted by currythedog View Post
Is Mark Sanchez a Superbowl Quarterback? Don’t Bet on It.

I am a retired director of research, and I have the time to do worthwhile things like worry about the future of the New York Jets. And I am worried, because Mark Sanchez is not, and probably will never be a Superbowl quarterback. After looking pretty hard at all quarterbacks who led their teams to the Superbowl over the past thirty years, I can make the argument that while the Jets have been really lucky to make the AFC Championships the past two years, the odds of the Jets making the Superbowl in the future with Sanchez as quarterback are extremely low. Here’s why:

Mark Sanchez is the most inaccurate starting QB in the NFL.

In Sanchez’ rookie season of 2009, he was ranked 29th of 32 qualifying quarterbacks in completion percentage. Who was ranked lower? Matthew Stafford (who is now above-average in accuracy), Brady Quinn and JaMarcus Russell. In Sanchez’ second year he again ranked 29th in completion percentage among 31 qualifying passers. Mark ranked above Derek Anderson and Jimmy Clausen. This year, Mark has improved to rank 28th! Who’s worse? Joe Flacco and Sam Bradford (both having bad years as they were quite accurate last year), Christian Ponder, Curtis Painter and Blaine Gabbert. Who remembers Brady Quinn, JaMarcus Russel, Derek Anderson or Jimmy Clausen? Who will remember Curtis Painter or Blaine Gabbert? Inaccurate quarterbacks are consigned to the dustbin of history.

Mark’s beginning three years at the bottom of the completion percentage rankings make him the most consistently inaccurate passer in the NFL. It is hard to find quarterbacks in football history who have started out that badly, because they are usually benched. You’d have to go back to Joey Harrington during his 2002-2004 seasons with the Lions. Remember Joey Harrington?

Superbowl QB’s may start out as inaccurate passers, but they improve rapidly.

36 quarterbacks led their teams to Superbowls since 1981, many of them multiple times, and two thirds of them became starters either their rookie or second years, so Mark is not alone. Superbowl QB’s first years as starters often did not go well. Several began their starting careers as the most inaccurate passers in the league, including John Elway in 1983, Rich Gannon in 1990 and Kerry Collins in 1995. But all improved rapidly. Of the 13 Superbowl QB’s that ranked in the bottom quarter of their peer group in accuracy their first year as starters, only three remained in the bottom quarter by their second year, and none by their third year. This would make Mark Sanchez quite the outlier.

For the trivia-hungry, I must mention Jim Plunkett. Plunkett was a God-awful QB with the Patriots and then the 49’ers from 1971 to 1977. As a second-stringer in Oakland 1980, he had to fill in when Dan Pastorini broke his leg. He led the Raiders to a Superbowl win with terrible statistics. By his next Superbowl season, 1983, he had transformed into a top quarter QB in accuracy. Just goes to show you, anything is possible if you’re willing to wait long enough.

The year they first took their teams to the Superbowl, Superbowl QB’s were extremely accurate. 17 of 36 passers achieved top quarter completion percentage rankings. Only 7 of 36 QB’s fell into the lower half and only 2 of 36 ranked in the bottom quarter. One was Eli Manning, who after three years became a very accurate passer, holding out faint hope for Sanchez; the other was Rex Grossman, who lost his starting job the year after leading the Bears to the Superbowl in 2006.

The Jets have a reasonable shot at the playoffs, considering that the Bengals, Titans, Broncos and even Raiders have tougher schedules going forward. The Bears and Texans are dying for an experienced quarterback to finish their season though, and a bidding war might be just what we need. If the Redskins win at home on Sunday, I want Mark Brunell as our quarterback for the remainder of 2011.
Welcome to the forum. You had some credibility until you said you'd like to see Brunell for the remainder of the year. Since your specialty is research, when is the last time he started a game? What were his stats? Did his teams win? With 5 weeks to go changing directions is tremendously risky, particularly since, despite the issues with this QB, we are a 6-5 and in striking distance of the playoffs.
Old 11-30-2011, 05:45 PM
Help Me - I'm Addicted

Send a message via Yahoo to Jets337

By the way, I voted definitely, only because I think the person who started this thread and the first responder are here to stir things up. And no one likes a wise guy more than me.
Old 11-30-2011, 05:45 PM
Pro Bowler

Trent Dilfer.
Old 11-30-2011, 05:55 PM
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jets337 View Post
By the way, I voted definitely, only because I think the person who started this thread and the first responder are here to stir things up. And no one likes a wise guy more than me.
I was about to post the same thing. BTW, in spite of what some might feel about his performance and progress, how could anyone say that he definitely isn't considering that we were within 30 minutes of one in his rookie season.

Amitabh!
Old 11-30-2011, 06:00 PM
Super Moderator
Help Me - I'm Addicted

I have a question. Is there a difference between a research director and a research analyst, because the research was excellent and the analysis was straight off the dung heap. Brunell? Seriously. Anyhow, bottom line, people will ignore the facts and their hearts will rule their brain. I guess that's the passion in football.
Old 11-30-2011, 06:07 PM
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jets337 View Post
Welcome to the forum. You had some credibility until you said you'd like to see Brunell for the remainder of the year. Since your specialty is research, when is the last time he started a game? What were his stats? Did his teams win? With 5 weeks to go changing directions is tremendously risky, particularly since, despite the issues with this QB, we are a 6-5 and in striking distance of the playoffs.
337 he did say if we lose this week then he would like to see Brunnel. Assuming if we lose we are out. My question is what would putting in Brunnel do for us. I'm assuming you want to see what another qb can do with this team but in fairness to Brunnel, once we lose another game this team is not going to have anything to play for so probably Brunnel would not get there best. Also lets say we win with Brunnel. At his age I don't see him being our starter next season anyway.

The way Sanchez can finish games I think we should create a new position for him, like a relief pitcher. Someone else could qb the first 59 minutes of the game and Sanchez could come in for the game winning drive. For whatever reason he can stink the whole game then still look great in the last minute.

Tags
quarterback, sanchez, superbowl