The New York Jets HomepageThe Official New York Jets Forums
NYJets2011.com
Sponsors

Sponsors
New York Jets Forums / Jets Forum: All Things JETS! / Jets Playbook / The Jets RUSH Defense - it hasn't been good, and the Bills are good at running

Closed Thread

Old 11-02-2011, 01:29 PM
Super Moderator
Help Me - I'm Addicted

Default The Jets RUSH Defense - it hasn't been good, and the Bills are good at running

Under Rex Ryan, the New York Jets defense built a reputation as one of the best teams in defending the run. Last season, the Jets allowed the third-fewest yards per game on the ground (90.9) and the second-fewest rushing first downs (70).

However, this year the Jets have struggled against the run, allowing 126.9 rush yards per game, and will be really tested by a formidable Buffalo Bills’ rushing attack on Sunday. The Bills average 5.1 yards per rush (fourth in NFL), and have nine rushes of at least 20 yards (fifth in NFL).

What’s been the difference for the Jets? They have been stout in stopping rushers from gaining extra yardage, allowing only 1.5 yards after contact per rush, second-fewest in the league. However, actually getting to the ball carrier has been New York’s Achilles’ heel this season.

The Jets’ front seven is in a state of flux, and has allowed 2.7 yards before contact per rush, ranked 22nd in the NFL. Rookie Muhammad Wilkerson replaced veteran Shaun Ellis, while a slew of relatively inexperienced faces have seen significant time like Jamaal Westerman, Ropati Pitoitua, and Marcus Dixon.

The Jets defensive lineman have struggled in losing point-of-attack battles with opposing offensive linemen. This has caused linebackers Bart Scott and David Harris to regularly be kept out of opponents’ backfields. They combined for 9.5 tackles for loss in 2010, but have registered only one this season.

The Jets have also been especially susceptible to runs on the right side of their defense, where Westerman, Pitoitua and Bryan Thomas have made the majority of the starts. Four of the five runs of at least 20 yards the Jets have allowed this season have gone to the offense’s left, targeting the right side of the Jets’ rush defense.

ESPN Stats & Information

Last edited by Green Titan; 11-02-2011 at 01:31 PM.
Old 11-02-2011, 02:02 PM
Pro Bowler

Stopping the run has been hard this entire season. Hopefully Ryan has a game plan for this week's battle

If a man aspires towards a righteous life, his first act of abstinence is from injury to animals. ~ Albert Einstein
Old 11-05-2011, 12:07 AM
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperbowlWin View Post
Stopping the run has been hard this entire season. Hopefully Ryan has a game plan for this week's battle
Ryan definitly has a plan, the question is will the team execute it correctly. I say we will.
Old 11-05-2011, 01:12 AM
Veteran

the run-d will get better as season progresses,after all we still have another half of season left
Old 11-05-2011, 02:40 PM
Pro Bowler

i been a little concerned about it myself, although they seem to be able to hold their own when they can focus on the run game because the opponent has a weaker passing attack.

they seem to struggle most against multidimensional teams.

obviously the ideal defense will be able to defend both, but the way the nfl is today that's not always realistic either. what defense in the league isn't weak at some spot?

honestly right now i would take a strong pass defense over run defense considering other teams' focus on the pass game nowadays.

a team may get more yards on the ground than we want to give up, but at the same time there aren't many teams left who are actually going to beat you on the ground. everyone now is pass first. that's how they move the ball and that's how they score their points, and the jets are still among the best against that.

if they slow down fred jackson, and of course that's an if, not a given, then they win the game. fitzpatrick is having a good year, but right now if i'm a bills fan or coach, i don't want to rely on him airing it out against the jets' secondary tomorrow.
Old 11-05-2011, 03:25 PM
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnjet View Post
Ryan definitly has a plan, the question is will the team execute it correctly. I say we will.
I believe the defense is dedicated to Ryan's system. They've had shaky games, but they know this is a MUST WIN, they should execute almost every defensive play flawlessly.

If a man aspires towards a righteous life, his first act of abstinence is from injury to animals. ~ Albert Einstein
Old 11-06-2011, 09:42 AM
Veteran

Quote:
Its been a tough season for the Defense defending the run. However Jackson runs well when the O is spread out... as long as the D can be physical at the line and jam the receivers we will make it difficult for Jackson to have success.
Old 11-06-2011, 09:43 AM
Veteran

Quote:
I believe the defense is dedicated to Ryan's system. They've had shaky games, but they know this is a MUST WIN, they should execute almost every defensive play flawlessly.
I agree they are dedicated as well, hopefully they can execute today and for once Im pulling for the Giants as well!
Old 11-06-2011, 10:18 AM
Veteran

[QUOTE=sharpy;142826]I think the numbers might be skued a little bit due to a couple of bad performances. The Baltimore and Oakland games come to mind. Have faith man. Our "D" is awsome!
Sharpy[/QUOTE

I hope they can get back to the basics... They are better then the numbers show.
Old 11-06-2011, 12:15 PM
Hall Of Famer
Help Me - I'm Addicted

After they shut done Jackson and Smith, who else is there?

GO JETS

"May God have mercy upon my enemies, because I won't." General George Patton Jr
Closed Thread