The New York Jets HomepageThe Official New York Jets Forums
NYJets2011.com
Sponsors

Sponsors
New York Jets Forums / Jets Forum: All Things JETS! / Jets Playbook / Coaching staff hirings appear about done

Old 02-08-2017, 11:30 PM
Third String

Default Coaching staff hirings appear about done

The Jets appear to have pretty much filled the coaching vacancies now. They hired Lombardi and Vrable on offense and Giacobbe as assistant strength coach. They have also hired Jeremy Bates as quarterback coach. I'm a little uneasy about the Bates hiring because he has been here before and didn't do much for us. In his defense we were going through a bunch of quarterbacks during his tenure just like now. Oh. Oh. He's had quite a bit of experience since then so lets hope that he can work miracles for us this time around.
Old 02-09-2017, 02:33 PM
Third String

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gramoah View Post
The Jets appear to have pretty much filled the coaching vacancies now. They hired Lombardi and Vrable on offense and Giacobbe as assistant strength coach. They have also hired Jeremy Bates as quarterback coach. I'm a little uneasy about the Bates hiring because he has been here before and didn't do much for us. In his defense we were going through a bunch of quarterbacks during his tenure just like now. Oh. Oh. He's had quite a bit of experience since then so lets hope that he can work miracles for us this time around.
Bates is Morton's guy. He did a pretty good job with Brooks Bollinger. Not much to work with. He has been out of football for the past 4 years though. He has a lot of experience as a QB coach, assistant HC and OC.
Lombardi was a scouting assistant at NE. Assistant Head coach his first year with San Fran. Then Defensive assistant coach for 2 years and offensive quality control coach last year.
Vrable comes from Buffalo, 3 years as offensive quality control coach and assistant QB coach last year.
Giacobbe is a good hire. He did a great job at Rutgers.(interesting note. Rutgers had the most alumni playing in the Superbowl. ) Our conditioning has been awful for several years. Joe may be the guy who can help change that. He is well respected by slot of NFL players who work with him in the off season.
Honestly, I see slot of experience in the hires, Morton's input and worry that means Bowles is going to take a completely hands off approach again with the offense. One of his biggest downfalls was his disconnect from that side of the team.
Old 02-09-2017, 03:05 PM
Third String

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyFtLaud View Post
Bates is Morton's guy. He did a pretty good job with Brooks Bollinger. Not much to work with. He has been out of football for the past 4 years though. He has a lot of experience as a QB coach, assistant HC and OC.
Lombardi was a scouting assistant at NE. Assistant Head coach his first year with San Fran. Then Defensive assistant coach for 2 years and offensive quality control coach last year.
Vrable comes from Buffalo, 3 years as offensive quality control coach and assistant QB coach last year.
Giacobbe is a good hire. He did a great job at Rutgers.(interesting note. Rutgers had the most alumni playing in the Superbowl. ) Our conditioning has been awful for several years. Joe may be the guy who can help change that. He is well respected by slot of NFL players who work with him in the off season.
Honestly, I see slot of experience in the hires, Morton's input and worry that means Bowles is going to take a completely hands off approach again with the offense. One of his biggest downfalls was his disconnect from that side of the team.
I did notice the experience of these guys but just was unable to correlate it to any above average achievement. I know, you can say it, I'm asking too much.
Old 02-09-2017, 07:17 PM
Third String

You couldn't correlate it to any achievement simply because there is no achievement amongst them.

Trying to decide if I should laugh or cry.....
Old 02-09-2017, 09:19 PM
Second String

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyFtLaud View Post
You couldn't correlate it to any achievement simply because there is no achievement amongst them.

Trying to decide if I should laugh or cry.....
sounds like they will fit in just fine.

I used to cry . Now I've decided it's much better to just laugh
Old 02-09-2017, 11:44 PM
Third String

So...........what you two are telling me is that I have reason to be concerned, just when I was hoping to be wrong. Well I guess we'll find out if they have what it takes to turn this team around next season. Until then all I can do is wish them luck. They're going to need it.
Old 02-10-2017, 02:11 AM
Can't Spell "Geno" | Mr Kazoo

Quote:
So...........what you two are telling me is that I have reason to be concerned, just when I was hoping to be wrong. Well I guess we'll find out if they have what it takes to turn this team around next season. Until then all I can do is wish them luck. They're going to need it.
If you can find a coach with experience and successful, chances are good he is still working. That is why when it comes to hiring coaches there is always an unknown.

If you see the players actually getting better as the season progresses, then you hired the right coaches.
Old 02-10-2017, 09:06 AM
Second String

Quote:
Hey, after I listened to belichick's speach declining the Jets job, I said to myself, " I'm glad this guy is not our coach cause he sounds like a sniveling loser." Then when he took the patriots job(weren't the cheatahs yet) I said to myself, "no matter how bad the Jets are I can at least be happy knowing that the patriots will be worse." and then look what happened. "Coaching is like a box of chocolates. You never know what you're going to get"

maybe these guys we hired have all recently taken a course together on espionage and how to use it in the NFL. If so , we may be a year away from a dynasty
Old 02-10-2017, 09:11 AM
Second String

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patriot View Post
If you can find a coach with experience and successful, chances are good he is still working. That is why when it comes to hiring coaches there is always an unknown.

If you see the players actually getting better as the season progresses, then you hired the right coaches.
This is true and there aren't even many good coaches on other teams. I started a thread a while back asking, "if you could steal a coach from another team who would it be and how many coaches would actually be on the possible list worth stealing. I didn't get too many people with too many choices.

Anybody who is good is not getting let go so you have to take a crap shoot on someone. Problem with us is that with the state of things here, nobody good wants to come here. look at belichick who lasted long enough to say goodbye. And at that time we actually had players
Old 02-10-2017, 10:53 AM
Can't Spell "Geno" | Mr Kazoo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheaterhater View Post
Hey, after I listened to belichick's speach declining the Jets job, I said to myself, " I'm glad this guy is not our coach cause he sounds like a sniveling loser." Then when he took the patriots job(weren't the cheatahs yet) I said to myself, "no matter how bad the Jets are I can at least be happy knowing that the patriots will be worse." and then look what happened. "Coaching is like a box of chocolates. You never know what you're going to get"

maybe these guys we hired have all recently taken a course together on espionage and how to use it in the NFL. If so , we may be a year away from a dynasty
Look Bill's first year with the Pats he was 5-11 in 2000. In his second year he was 0-2 and Bledsoe was just knocked out by the Jets.

Story goes he and his coaching staff were planning to be fired and were making plans. You know the rest of the story. I remember back then being one of the only radio callers to support not firing Belichick. Why is because I remember him out coaching Parcells in a playoff game versus the Browns.