The New York Jets HomepageThe Official New York Jets Forums
NYJets2011.com
Sponsors

Sponsors
New York Jets Forums / Jets Forum: All Things JETS! / Jets Playbook / -team set to part ways with eric decker this week (release or trade)

Old 06-07-2017, 07:23 PM
Starters

Quote:
Originally Posted by beresford View Post
Trouble is, if you were a top QB prospect and a team with a weak offensive line and no standout skill players on offense had the number 1 pick, wouldn't you stay in college and get your degree? We may need to spend that top pick on an LT if Beachum doesn't pan out.
Thus next off season will be very interesting. Didn't Peyton Manning pull that same stunt you're referring too?

SK, 2011 & 2014 forum fantasy football CHAMPION!!

82-56
WK 1==6-9~~~WK 5=10-4~~~ WK 9==7-5~~~ WK13
WK 2==6-9~~~WK 6==7-6~~~ WK10=4-10~~~ WK14
WK 3=11-4~~~WK 7=10-3~~~~ WK11~~~~~~ WK15
WK 4=11-3~~~WK 8=10-3~~~~ WK12~~~~~~ WK16
Old 06-07-2017, 10:22 PM
Third String

While it's true that both Harris and Decker would have contributed it appears to me that the powers to be have decided to purge the team of older players and start developing a young, hungry team. As much as I like both of those guys I am on board with this rebuild. I've been a Jets fan since their inception and quite frankly I'm tired of supporting a team that just keeps plodding along with up and down, mostly down, seasons. As far as a good QB in next years draft not wanting to come here because we have a weak offensive line and no standout players.........,we don't know that to be the case yet. We haven't seen this NEW team in action against any other teams yet. They haven't had time to play together and develop. I, myself, am going to wait and see, enthusiastically, I might add. It's what most of us on this forum have been begging for for years so I'm not going to wine about players coming or going or try to second guess what the front office is doing. Instead, I'm going to embrace it and pray that it FINALLY develops into a long term competitive team. By the way, I believe that they will be stating Hackenberg, not McCown. Just a hunch.
Old 06-07-2017, 10:36 PM
Third String

I too have been a fan since we were the Titans.
I agree with you, let's rebuild, really rebuild.
I'd rather have a bad year this year and a good team the next.
Let us see what happens.
What has been done lately has not worked so good has it?
Old 06-08-2017, 02:03 AM
Second String

I have been pleading for a true rebuild since 2013. No more band aid 30 something FAs. No more trying to win now because we overspent and have a 1-2 year window. Been tired of 10-6, 11-5 followed by 8-8, 4-12, 5-11. Trading picks for other teams castoffs.
Decker is getting old and running around with a red Jersey and shorts in non contact drills is no indication of how the surgically repaired hip and shoulder will hold up when repeatedly taking big in game hits. Harris refused a pay cut. Was useless in coverage and likely was outperformed in OTAs.
As far as their leadership, where was it last season when the team was desperate for some one, anyone to step up. Decker was injured but could have taken the step to contribute as a leader in the locker room. He didn't. He was one of the dividing forces, campaigning for Fitz. Don't need him dividing the locker room this season campaigning for McCown.
McCown may very well get a couple early starts, depending on Hack, Petty being ready to start. Last thing we need is a vet publicly calling for McCown to play, creating drama in a young locker room.
There are plenty of young,talented Recievers to take Decker's spot. Remember 2014 , Decker is not a #1 Reciever.Even when healthy he's a 2. Between Stewart, Hansen, Peake, Anderson,and the rest of the young Recievers. He will be replaced.
As far as QBs not coming out of college because the Jets having the #1 pick. That's just a ridiculous statement. Kids may stay if the advisory board gives them a low draft grade but in the days of the set rookie pay scale , no QB will pass up the millions of dollars that come with being the first pick, risk injury, a poor season dropping their position, for what, The chance to be drafted by the worst team in the league the following season. There's a reason teams are drafting #1.
This rebuild is long over due. Hopefully Woody has the patience to stay the course for a couple of seasons and doesn't decide to spend the entire 70 million in cap space next off-season in a win now fashion.
Old 06-08-2017, 04:24 AM
Second String

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyFtLaud View Post
As far as QBs not coming out of college because the Jets having the #1 pick.
Been done before though. Or there is the Elway trick of threatening to play baseball if you are drafted by the Jets,

When the Colts 'sucked for Luck', was it because they had a poor O-line? Having a super-duper defense doesn't help the QB stay on his feet or off the treatment table. The Jets are sucking the wrong way (blowing?), in order to be attractive for a QB you want to suck because you have a weak DEFENSE, as it is easy to fix this and doesn't stop you developing a QB.
Old 06-08-2017, 12:02 PM
Second String

Quote:
Originally Posted by beresford View Post
Been done before though. Or there is the Elway trick of threatening to play baseball if you are drafted by the Jets,

When the Colts 'sucked for Luck', was it because they had a poor O-line? Having a super-duper defense doesn't help the QB stay on his feet or off the treatment table. The Jets are sucking the wrong way (blowing?), in order to be attractive for a QB you want to suck because you have a weak DEFENSE, as it is easy to fix this and doesn't stop you developing a QB.
It has been done before, you forgot Eli. But keep in mind that was prior to the last CBA. A player could sit out 1 year or play in the CFL then re-enter the draft the following year.
Now the team that drafts you owns your rights for 5 years from the day you sign so refuse to play and McDonald's is your future career path.

Elway threatened to play baseball if drafted by the Colts, not the Jets. Elway had also played for the Yankees who were set to have him start with the club.
Allen, Darnold and Rosen who are currently the top prospects do not play baseball.
Considering the first pick in the draft gets over $30 mill with over $20 mill as a signing bonus and an MLB player gets $12,900 a year plus $25 dollars per day for meals when on the road until called up to the majors , I don't foresee any of the top QBs using baseball as a threat vs the Jets next year.

When the Colts sucked for luck was it because they had a poor o line? No. It was because they wanted to draft the top QB.
If you're question was meant to ask did the Colts O Line Suck in 2011 when they secured the top pick then the answer is yes. They ranked #24 in the league. Pretty much ended Peytons career.
The O line last season, in spite of all the injuries and different lineups was not as bad as you claim. The league avg for sacks allowed was 35. The Jets allowed 35. How many of those were actually on the QB?
You should be a Defensive coordinator since for you, it's easy to fix an NFL defense.even better, become a consultant. College and NFL teams will pay you millions for your knowledge.
The attraction for a potential draft prospect, be it a QB, RB, OLB, corner or any position is the same. That's $$$. There is a reason over 100 underclassmen declared early for last year's draft and I don't think it was because they all hoped the Browns would take them with the first pick.
Old 06-09-2017, 07:04 PM
Third String

It's probably going to be painful for us fans for awhile with all this new blood on the team but if I see that the team is progressing in the right direction I'll endure it. It, for darn sure, won't be any worse than the pain we have suffered over the last few years as a result of these first aid fixes we've witnessed. I had to force myself to watch some of these games because the team played so horribly. I'm ready for a change and willing to deal with the losses that will probably come until we do develop that competitive team.
Old 06-15-2017, 08:12 AM

With the first pick in the 2018 NFL draft we might have a choice of 3 competent qbs and the upcoming college season to evaluate them in. As for current qbs, it doesnt worry me whether McCown or Hackenburg play, I am still confident we get a top 3 draft pick.
Old 06-15-2017, 12:34 PM
Second String

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwijet View Post
With the first pick in the 2018 NFL draft we might have a choice of 3 competent qbs and the upcoming college season to evaluate them in. As for current qbs, it doesnt worry me whether McCown or Hackenburg play, I am still confident we get a top 3 draft pick.
We are in a very good position , if Hack proves himself, we can target Arden Key, McGlinchy, even trade back for a bunch of picks in 18&19 and take Saquon Barkely. If he fails we are in position to draft a FQB.
I really think the QB talent in next year's draft was a key factor in the youth movement this season.
Old 06-16-2017, 04:53 AM

Worst case senario, we start with McCown and he has a fitzy like renaissance year and we go 6-10 or 5-11 and miss out on the top qbs.