The New York Jets HomepageThe Official New York Jets Forums
NYJets2011.com
Sponsors

Sponsors

Old 05-29-2017, 04:24 AM
Second String

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gramoah View Post
It's a real possibility but I have a hunch that he will retire before his credibility goes downhill any farther.
One thing we know, he will want more than $6 million to play, since that's what he's getting not to play!!!
Old 05-29-2017, 09:16 AM

Gentlemen I have to beg to differ on Revis's options for positions to play. I believe that he is still capable of playing at a reasonably high level at CB. Not shutdown, maybe not even No 1, but certainly still at a level where he could cover a 2nd receiver. This is dependant on a few things though. He is still young enough in comparison to alot of top flight cbs who have played to a much higher age than he is now, but has all his money softned him to a level where he can no longer push himself back to his abilities and also does he have to drive to redeem his reputation and want to finish playing more like the Revis of old. Its along shot as I think he has been corrupted by his own financial success. But people dont reach his levels without strong drive and motivation so this will be an interesting one.
Old 05-29-2017, 04:57 PM
Third String

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwijet View Post
Gentlemen I have to beg to differ on Revis's options for positions to play. I believe that he is still capable of playing at a reasonably high level at CB. Not shutdown, maybe not even No 1, but certainly still at a level where he could cover a 2nd receiver. This is dependant on a few things though. He is still young enough in comparison to alot of top flight cbs who have played to a much higher age than he is now, but has all his money softned him to a level where he can no longer push himself back to his abilities and also does he have to drive to redeem his reputation and want to finish playing more like the Revis of old. Its along shot as I think he has been corrupted by his own financial success. But people dont reach his levels without strong drive and motivation so this will be an interesting one.
I wish you were right Kiwi. I actually like Revis, aside from his desire to be overpaid like some other players that we could probably name, but he has lost his mojo and I don't think he can get it back, especially against the younger and faster receivers. I also think that he realizes this which is why he is willing to transition to safety. He got beat too many times by too many receivers last season and even though admittedly he wasn't 100% physically he has obviously slowed down to a point that is difficult to recover from. It just doesn't get easier with age when it comes to playing professional football. His football smarts is his best attribute right now and as long as he has that he could still play but as I stated before I don't think he will be a difference maker. If he is on our roster though I would love for him to prove me wrong.
Old 06-01-2017, 08:24 PM
Second String

I think Revis lost his confidence. He was always a tactician. Would jam the Reciever at the line and press him to the sidelines. The last 2 seasons, he stopped pressing at the line and gave Recievers a 5 to 10 yard cushion. Recievers started picking up easy first downs and consistently beat him with speed. He also started to really shy away from contact. Once his confidence was lost, he looked lost on the field.
He has been out of shape and seems to have lost his desire to be the best. Sadly, it becomes much harder to get into shape as we age. Not impossible, but I just don't see Revis having the drive to do it. Hanging out in bars till 3 am in the off-season surely is not the sign of someone trying to get back into the shape they were at 4 years ago. His days as a top Corner are way behind him and there are not many young Recievers he could cover in the league. We saw #2 and 3s burn him routinely. I stand by my belief that only money would drive him to continue to play.