NYJets2011.com
Sponsors

Sponsors

Old 05-01-2017, 03:30 PM
Waterboy

Default Undrafted Free Agents Signings

QUARTERBACKS
Dane Evans, QB, Tulsa [Tryout]
o Evans is a strong-armed thrower capable of getting hot and making a lot of plays with his arm. At this point he is more of a thrower than a passer and needs to develop different ball speeds to further his game. He lacks consistent touch at the intermediate and deep levels of the field. If a coach feels they can tighten up his mechanics and develop other parts of his game he warrants an UFA deal with a chance to prove he can make a practice squad.
o 2016 Stats: 59.5% completion, 3348 yards, 32 TD, 12 INT, 4 Rushing TD
o Evans has a nice quick release with a good internal clock to get the ball out. According to PFF he gained 64.8% of his total yards through the air instead of gaining big on his receivers work after the catch, that 64.8% mark was the 2nd highest in the 2017 NFL draft class. His deep ball accuracy is good, lets see how he reads a game.

Anthony Jennings, QB, Louisiana-Lafayette
o 2016 Stats: 59.8% completion. 2178 yards, 11 TD, 13 INT
o Jennings started his career at LSU. He got in a little trouble, and ended up losing the starting job. He landed at Louisiana-Lafayette where he had an up and down season. I can't comment too much on Jennings game as I haven't seen him since 2014 when he suited up for LSU, he was pretty wild then with his accuracy and took a few too many chances.

RUNNING BACKS
Anthony Firkser, RB/FB, Harvard
o The 6-foot-3, 220-pound Firkser had 45 receptions for 702 yards and seven TDs last season and 99 receptions for 1,559 yards and 14 TDs over the last three seasons
o 2016 Stats: 45 receptions, 702 yards, 7 TD's
o You've obviously got to look at the level of competition here, but he's a 6'2, 245lb guy who has showcased some very solid hands. He attended the Jets local pro-day and he's a New Jersey native, so it's good to see a local kid get a chance.

RECEIVERS AND TIGHT ENDS
Brisly Estime, WR/RET, Syracuse
o A two-time All-ACC performer, Estime finished his junior season second nationally in punt return average (18.1 yards per return) and tied for second nationally with two punt returns for touchdowns.
o 2016 Stats: 48 receptions, 518 yards, 3 TD - He posted his best season as a receiver in Dino Babers' offense as a senior
o Brisly is an interesting prospect because he returned both kicks and punts at Syracuse. He has 47 kick returns for 956 yards and 41 punt returns for 739 yards and 2 touchdowns over his career. Known as one of the better punt returners in college football, he also showed some shiftiness in the slot and an ability to get deep at times. He's the only Syracuse player to record two 80+ yard TD's in his career.

Gabe Marks, WR, Washington State
o Marks set the Pac-12 record for most career receptions in his senior year, also finishing second in conference history with 37 touchdown catches and seventh with 3,453 receiving yards. While not the biggest receiver at six feet, 190 pounds, Marks may be the hardest-working. He had the pedigree coming to Pullman, a four-star recruit and All-Area pick in the Los Angeles area as a high schooler. Marks played in every game as a true freshman, starting seven (49-560, two TDs). He started the first nine games of the 2013 season, playing in all 13 contests (74-807, seven TDs). His contributions dwindled at the end of the year, however, and he had a couple of run-ins with local police. Head coach Mike Leach decided to redshirt Marks for the 2014 season to install some maturity. Apparently the break worked, as Marks was a first-team All-Pac-12 selection as a junior, starting every game and catching 104 passes (ranked fifth in the FBS) for 1,192 yards and 15 scores (fourth in the FBS). He repeated the first-team all-conference honor in 2016, though his numbers were down slightly (89-894, 13 TDs).
o 2016 Stats: 89 receptions, 894 yards, 13 TD
o Gabe is definitely my pick to make the most noise as a UDFA. I've seen a fair bit of him and was pretty shocked to see him go undrafted. He's been highly productive, he's not the biggest or the fastest but he is the most competitive. His hands are good, he tracks the ball well and he showcases some A+ body control to adapt to throws and get his feet down. I think Marks will be the 2017 version of Robby Anderson.

Domonique Young, WR, Purdue
o 2016 Stats: 29 receptions, 338 yards, 1 TD
o It was a disappointing year for Young who suffered a serious leg injury in October and was forced to miss the rest of the season. Having recovered from a dislocated knee, he has his sights firmly set on making a name for himself at the next level. At 6'3 and 220lb's, he has excellent size for the position, and has showcased strong hands at times, especially on contested balls over the middle.

Keevan Lucas, WR, Tulsa
o 2016 Stats: 81 receptions, 1180 yards, 15 TD
o Lucas is another guy who I thought should have been drafted and was likely overlooked because of the measurables. He's got excellent body control and plays much bigger than his 5'9 frame. Interestingly the Bills called him to sign him and then only minutes later called him back to say they were revoking the offer due to medical concerns. He had a torn meniscus in his left knee in high school and a torn patella tendon in his right knee at Tulsa, but that didn't stop him from putting up some great numbers and a good showing at the combine. Their loss is hopefully our gain. I believe that Lucas is will be at the rookie camp as a tryout and I've left other tryout players off this list, as I think Lucas has a ton of talent.

OFFENSIVE LINEMEN
Javarius Leamon, OT, South Carolina State
o 2016 Stats: Second-team All-MEAC pick as the Gamecock's starting left tackle
o Leamon is a big guy standing at 6'7 and 332 lb's. I haven't seen Leamon personally, but the consensus is he's a project tackle who needs to add a little strength to his frame and improve his foot quickness and balance. It may be that he's a guy who needs to spend a year on the practice squad before contributing, but he definitely has the frame to be an NFL lineman.

DEFENSIVE LINEMEN
Jareid Combs, DE, North Texas
o 2016 Stats: 43 tackles, 6.5 for a loss, 3 sacks
o With Combs you're almost certainly looking for him to play standing up as an edge rusher. He has played from both the 2 and 3 point stances, but it's his speed off the edge which likely attracted the attention of the Jets. He has a good motor and a lot of his production behind the line comes from a relentless pursuit. He was known as a strong leader on the North Texas team, a trait the Jets value very highly

Patrick Gamble, DT, Georgia Tech
o Gamble started 27 games for the Yellow Jackets in his career, playing both defensive end and tackle. He led Tech in sacks this past season with 7.5 and tackles for loss with 10.5. He was a captain this past season and was credited with providing the leadership that helped trigger Tech?s four-game winning streak to end the season. He also played the season with a torn hip labrum, waiting until the end of the season to have surgery.
o 2016 Stats: 53 tackles, 10 for a loss, 7.5 sacks, 3 forced fumbles
o Standing at 6'5 and 277lb's with long arms and big hands. He always played with a good motor and his hand usage and speed to power conversion was always impressed. He may need to add a little bulk to the frame to slide into a 3-4 DE spot, he has the quickness and athletic ability to play inside and out from a technique perspective.

Rashad Dillard, DE, Troy [Tryout]
oTroy defensive lineman Rashad Dillard has been named Sun Belt Conference Defensive Player of the Year, it was announced Wednesday.

Dillard, a senior from Byrnes, S.C., has totaled 36 tackles, 13.5 tackles for loss, eight quarterback hurries and 7.5 sacks in 2016. He was also a first-team All-Sun Belt pick in voting by league coaches.

LINEBACKERS
Connor Harris, ILB, Lindenwood
o 2016 Stats: 138 tackles, 8.5 for a loss, 2 INT
o Harris is just one of those guys who loves football, who could find and hit people in his sleep. He's not exactly the biggest guy at 5'11 and he's not the longest guy with arms just over 30", but he knows where the football is and his read and react is good. He also follows the mould of great intangibles and leadership. Many expected him to get drafted around the 6th, so getting him as a UDFA is a steal on the face of it.

Austin Calitro, ILB, Villanova
o 2016 Stats: 86 tackles, 12 for a loss, 3.5 sacks, 4 pass defenses
o Guess what Calitro was at Villanova? Yeah you guessed it, a team captain. He was named a first team CAA Football All-Conference selection and got an invite to the East/West Shrine Game. I haven't seen a great deal of Calitro, but from what I have seen, he looks to have a good nose for the football and a lot of quickness and closing speed to his game. No doubt the Jets are looking at him as an OLB prospect.

DEFENSIVE BACKS
Xavier Coleman, CB, Portland State
o 2016 Stats: 29 tackles, 3 for a loss, 7 pass defenses, 2 INT
o The Jets drafted a couple of big, long, strong corners. However Coleman doesn't really fit that mould standing at just 5'11 but he has the speed, clocked at around 4.46 with a 40" vertical and a 6.81 in the three cone drill, all of which would have been up there had he been invited to the scouting combine. He was also a team captain, needless to say really.

Last edited by qicmic; 05-01-2017 at 03:39 PM.
Old 05-01-2017, 07:50 PM
Second String

"The Jets have signed one of the most coveted undrafted free agents, Washington State wide receiver Gabe Marks. He's the Pac-12 record holder for career receptions (316), but wasn't among the 253 players selected. Why not? His 40 time (4.56) wasn't great and he's only 5-foot-11, 189 pounds. He also played in a wide-open spread offense. It's interesting that he chose the Jets, who have a lot of young receivers."

Like this signing a lot! If we use him right, he could become a huge 3rd down asset. Little wr with sticky hands....could you imagine how easily that converts third and long situations especially on a 4 receiver set or 3 and a TE.
Old 05-02-2017, 02:53 PM
Third String

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForeverGreen View Post
"The Jets have signed one of the most coveted undrafted free agents, Washington State wide receiver Gabe Marks. He's the Pac-12 record holder for career receptions (316), but wasn't among the 253 players selected. Why not? His 40 time (4.56) wasn't great and he's only 5-foot-11, 189 pounds. He also played in a wide-open spread offense. It's interesting that he chose the Jets, who have a lot of young receivers."

Like this signing a lot! If we use him right, he could become a huge 3rd down asset. Little wr with sticky hands....could you imagine how easily that converts third and long situations especially on a 4 receiver set or 3 and a TE.
I'm with you on this one and besides 5-11 isn't that small if he has good hands and can hold onto the ball, which he does.
Old 05-09-2017, 02:53 AM
Second String

I love the signing of LB Connor Harris. The kid loves football,is a 3 time all American. Has the most tackles of any player in NCAA history.Was passed over due to short arms, reminds me of Zach Thomas. Think he has a bright future. As an added bonus:
He participated on offense and special teams. He has 7 rushing touchdowns as a wildcat quarterback , averaged 37.3 yards per punt,and connected on 12 of 12 PATs last season.
Old 05-17-2017, 01:14 AM
Second String

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyFtLaud View Post
I love the signing of LB Connor Harris. The kid loves football,is a 3 time all American. Has the most tackles of any player in NCAA history.Was passed over due to short arms, reminds me of Zach Thomas. Think he has a bright future. As an added bonus:
He participated on offense and special teams. He has 7 rushing touchdowns as a wildcat quarterback , averaged 37.3 yards per punt,and connected on 12 of 12 PATs last season.
Agreed. Hey the one thing the Jets did well in this draft and with UDFA's is redefined culture. These are hungry players that love the game. Its fosters a new outlook. Now we just need a QB LOL
Old 05-18-2017, 04:17 PM
Second String

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForeverGreen View Post
Agreed. Hey the one thing the Jets did well in this draft and with UDFA's is redefined culture. These are hungry players that love the game. Its fosters a new outlook. Now we just need a QB LOL
That's what this team lacked most last season in my opinion, Williams was one of the only players to show heart and passion for the game over the entire season.
I think Mac made the right move at QB this off season. Let's see what we have in Petty and Hackenberg. One could be a pleasant surprise. If not, we should be in position to draft a QB early next year and we should have a pretty good group of WRs and TEs in ASJ and Leggett plus the young O line will have a season to build some continuity.
That should be a better situation for a young QB.
Old 05-18-2017, 07:31 PM
Third String

Quote:
That's what this team lacked most last season in my opinion, Williams was one of the only players to show heart and passion for the game over the entire season.
I think Mac made the right move at QB this off season. Let's see what we have in Petty and Hackenberg. One could be a pleasant surprise. If not, we should be in position to draft a QB early next year and we should have a pretty good group of WRs and TEs in ASJ and Leggett plus the young O line will have a season to build some continuity.
That should be a better situation for a young QB.
Right on Tony. In my opinion, very highly regarded, at least by my great grandson, there's a limit to how long a QB should red shirt. If he isn't ready to play by the third season on the roster he probably never will be. In the interest of being fair though they are all saddled with learning a new offense this season. Some things, like the mechanics, won't change but almost certainly the playbook will. I'm anxious to see how Hack functions under NFL grade pressure. I think it's time that we found out.
Old 05-22-2017, 10:22 PM
Second String

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gramoah View Post
Right on Tony. In my opinion, very highly regarded, at least by my great grandson, there's a limit to how long a QB should red shirt. If he isn't ready to play by the third season on the roster he probably never will be. In the interest of being fair though they are all saddled with learning a new offense this season. Some things, like the mechanics, won't change but almost certainly the playbook will. I'm anxious to see how Hack functions under NFL grade pressure. I think it's time that we found out.
I think Petty is at the biggest disadvantage as far as learning the playbook. McCown should be quite familiar with it as he has been around Morton in the past and Hack played a NFL pro style game under O'Brian.
It's really not so much the plays but the language and calls. The X's and O's won't be much different.
I really want to see how Hack handles the pressure too.
I agree with your grandson.Unless there is a QB like Rodgers, Brady , Big Ben ahead of a young QB , 3 years is Max. I'd say 2 is probably enough, by year 3 they should be able to show something. If not after 3 years, come year 4 it's perform of get out of the league.
Old 05-24-2017, 06:45 PM
Third String

Quote:
I think Petty is at the biggest disadvantage as far as learning the playbook. McCown should be quite familiar with it as he has been around Morton in the past and Hack played a NFL pro style game under O'Brian.
It's really not so much the plays but the language and calls. The X's and O's won't be much different.
I really want to see how Hack handles the pressure too.
I agree with your grandson.Unless there is a QB like Rodgers, Brady , Big Ben ahead of a young QB , 3 years is Max. I'd say 2 is probably enough, by year 3 they should be able to show something. If not after 3 years, come year 4 it's perform of get out of the league.
Right, do a Tebow and go play baseball.