The New York Jets HomepageThe Official New York Jets Forums
NYJets2011.com
Sponsors

Sponsors

Old 05-30-2017, 04:32 PM
Second String

Default Great Article

The link below is to an article I recently read on the west coast offense and why it is so challenging for Bryce and Hack. It explains quite a bit. Its written by Steve Young. It also goes through some defensive stuff. What's really interesting is the way he explains it, the feat are basically a metronome in sync with the receiver routes. Which explains that in this system you cant throw for 20+ yards unless you hit 7 beats.

I figure this article is important since the Jets will now be a true WC offense under morton.

http://static.espn.go.com/nfl/s/west...opularity.html
Old 05-30-2017, 07:47 PM
Third String

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForeverGreen View Post
The link below is to an article I recently read on the west coast offense and why it is so challenging for Bryce and Hack. It explains quite a bit. Its written by Steve Young. It also goes through some defensive stuff. What's really interesting is the way he explains it, the feat are basically a metronome in sync with the receiver routes. Which explains that in this system you cant throw for 20+ yards unless you hit 7 beats.

I figure this article is important since the Jets will now be a true WC offense under morton.

http://static.espn.go.com/nfl/s/west...opularity.html
Gets you thinking doesn't it.................
Old 05-30-2017, 09:47 PM

you know it raises many questions, but as we are about to embrase it again after having had the afore mentioned marty mornhinweg running this same mentioned offense before with the jets, lets look to its positives. It is well supported and ultilised, not only by steve young but apparently by the patriots, although its the first time I have heard that they use a west coast offense, but brady does have one of the quickest release times so maybe so. It is structured which could help new qbs and new receivers develop some continuity. On the other side does it limit the play by its nature of qbs, Im only asking. What I would like to know is how many teams use this offense and who are their qbs, what is their success in using it. Because I still believe that you use the talent you have as much as forcing a process on the talent you have.
Old 05-31-2017, 06:26 PM
Second String

Now here is another tidbit you all might find interesting.

Ernheartd-Perkins and the Coryel are the two other pro offenses. Coryel has like a million versions - they all use numbered route trees and foot work is less important. It is the big competitor to west coast right now, with WC as #1. The EP on the other hand was invented by two coaches in the 1970's who worked for the Patriots. EP is only currently used by 1 NFL team....the PATRIOTS.

Interesting fact, EP is not based on numbers or route trees, it is based on concepts. The idea is you only have a dozen plays and each one is called a concept. The concept is memorized with a single word. Everyone on offense memorizes the concepts and any player can play any portion of the concept at any time which means personnel and skill players dont matter so much. Its extremely easy to learn, easily adaptable to any personnel combinations on the field (i.e. two tight ends, two running backs, running backs that all of the sudden play wide....etc.). The only thing the modern pats have added to it is the uptempo and no huddle which plays well with it because it is so simple.

Makes you wonder why it hasnt caught on more. West Coast is really cool if you can get a QB to use his feet like a metronome for sure. The one thing that I found also interesting in the article is how man vs man was weak against it and zone prevailed. Yet we play tons of man coverage.
Old 05-31-2017, 06:28 PM
Second String

BTW it also explains why guys like Hack can seem so off on their throws, in WC if your footwork isnt timed like a drum you will throw to someone that inst there because the idea is not to look for receivers but time your feet to their route running, its almost like throwing blind.

Also begs the question as to why coaches dont build offenses around the QB they have if the QB they have cant pick it up.
Old 05-31-2017, 06:29 PM
Second String

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwijet View Post
you know it raises many questions, but as we are about to embrase it again after having had the afore mentioned marty mornhinweg running this same mentioned offense before with the jets, lets look to its positives. It is well supported and ultilised, not only by steve young but apparently by the patriots, although its the first time I have heard that they use a west coast offense, but brady does have one of the quickest release times so maybe so. It is structured which could help new qbs and new receivers develop some continuity. On the other side does it limit the play by its nature of qbs, Im only asking. What I would like to know is how many teams use this offense and who are their qbs, what is their success in using it. Because I still believe that you use the talent you have as much as forcing a process on the talent you have.
Pats dont do WC they do EP, only ones in NFL. Completely different