The New York Jets HomepageThe Official New York Jets Forums
NYJets2011.com
Sponsors

Sponsors

Old 04-02-2017, 12:05 AM
Second String

The real question is do the jets draft trubisky at 6 or Mahomes at 39 (If the cards dont take him first).

I really have no idea how this is going to play out. I just hope we dont waste a pick on Lattimore aka Millner 2.0. However, I dont see the Jets not drafting a QB between the first 3 rounds. Yea we have a ton of holes, but lets face it 2018 QB class may be deep - but then again there is no more pro offense in college and they will all have questions next year too. Jets need a QB...I also dont think drafting a guy this year means Hack is a bust. I think he could win the starting job if he has talent and puts in the work..I am just not sure he does. The only QB on the roster that I even suspect has talent is Petty....but that is suspect too. I mean what NFL QB plays his first rain game ever in his 2nd NFL start. Point is we can take crap shoots on other positions and end up with guys like Gholston or guys like williams....either way we never winning a SB without a QB. We had the best o-line in the league, the best RB in TJ and then LT and Revis in his prime......still no SB because we had no QB.

I am not saying Bowles can mold a QB into a champion - not a lot of faith in him as you all know...but at this point I would be drafting QBs in the top 4 rounds every year until I find the guy.

Seatle is a great example....they pay Flynn 26M and then draft russel in the 3rd and have a 3 way competition which russel wins......while they eat the 26M on Flynn's contract.

QB - only position that matters if you truely want a SB. once you find that you can fill in the rest of the pieces. Also, to add to that - once you find the guy you need to build around him as fast as possible - this way you are not cap constrained - because you will be when his rookie contract expires....Thats the problem the colts have now with Luck...they never built a team around him when he was young and now they struggle to fill the holes with limited cap space.
Old 04-02-2017, 07:52 AM
Second String

So how will all of these QBs get reps? And how will you know that the Messiah has arrived unless he does get reps?

Truth is we're screwed on offense until we can put out a solid O-line and we can't make much progress on that this year because it is a cornerback's draft.

And of course drafting a quality player in the other skill positions means he can't be fully used for several seasons while we sort out O-line and QB.

Allowing your O-line to wither away without maintenance is like letting the fire go out in a steam engine.
Old 04-02-2017, 05:42 PM
Third String

We do have to have in place some semblance of an "O" line to protect the QB whoever that may be or else he will get BROKEN before he has a chance to develop into a worthwhile QB. And if we can give him more than 2 or 3 seconds to get rid of the ball he might develop into a decent passer and make fewer mistakes. Forevergreen is right though. We have to keep chasing that QB until we find him. It IS that important. However we will never know if we have found him if we can't give him enough time behind the line to demonstrate his skill. In my opinion Brady would have sucked behind this "O" line last season. So in essence we need both and that's a difficult thing to pull off.
Old 04-03-2017, 08:52 AM
Second String

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gramoah View Post
Forevergreen is right though. We have to keep chasing that QB until we find him. It IS that important.
So who would you like to cut in order to make room for Newguy; Petty, UnKnown or Hackensack? Gruden made the point last year that the CBA doesn't allow you enough reps to keep four QBs active. You can't just keep using significant draft picks on QBs and discarding them two or three seasons later without giving them a chance (or you can if you want to remain like the Jets).

I reckon that these days rather than QB churn you have to pick your guy and go all-in on him for a few years. Back your own judgement. If you get it wrong you are probably looking for another job, but nobody said being an NFL GM was easy.
Old 04-04-2017, 03:23 PM
Third String

Quote:
Originally Posted by beresford View Post
So who would you like to cut in order to make room for Newguy; Petty, UnKnown or Hackensack? Gruden made the point last year that the CBA doesn't allow you enough reps to keep four QBs active. You can't just keep using significant draft picks on QBs and discarding them two or three seasons later without giving them a chance (or you can if you want to remain like the Jets).

I reckon that these days rather than QB churn you have to pick your guy and go all-in on him for a few years. Back your own judgement. If you get it wrong you are probably looking for another job, but nobody said being an NFL GM was easy.
If it were me and I thought that there was a QB in this draft worth giving a shot to and I couldn't reasonably keep keep 4 QBs on the roster, at least through training camp, I wouldn't have signed McCown in the first place. He's 37 years old. can't seem to stay healthy, and wasn't that great anyway. I myself would rather see us work with the best of our young guys and try to develop one. Having a struggling but improving young QB next season isn't likely to impact our win/loss record that much in my opinion and deep down I bet most of you guys. if we're being honest about it, feel the same way.
Old 04-05-2017, 05:13 PM
Second String

Quote:
Originally Posted by beresford View Post

Whoever wins the job gets the reps...simple.

As far as our o-line...its not as bad as it seems. If you been keeping up the Jets did make offseason moves at improving the o-line including LT. This draft is extremely weak in Oline - from what I understand there is no oline worth taking until you are at the end of the first beginning of the second.

If Trubisky - is the guy - we need to take him. Not saying he is but if they believe it pull the trigger. Let him compete with Petty and Hack. If Hack wins - he starts and Petty cut. If Petty Wins - Hack cut. If Trubisky wins - cut whichever one is less of a locker room presence.
Old 04-05-2017, 08:22 PM

I for one would keep drafting topend qbs, without which we are nothing, find one and we have 10-15years of competitive football. I hear Grudens concerns, but really, time to change our critiqueing process. Simply if QB coaching staff cannot differentiate bewteen the QBs by systimatically and repetitively making them go over QB orientated drills, then maybe its time for new QB staff.

Last edited by kiwijet; 04-05-2017 at 08:40 PM.
Old 04-13-2017, 10:16 PM
Second String

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwijet View Post
I for one would keep drafting topend qbs, without which we are nothing, find one and we have 10-15years of competitive football. I hear Grudens concerns, but really, time to change our critiqueing process. Simply if QB coaching staff cannot differentiate bewteen the QBs by systimatically and repetitively making them go over QB orientated drills, then maybe its time for new QB staff.
agreed. what is the point of hiring experts if they are not experts.

Also, lets be real - Jets dont need the next Aaron Rodgers - would be nice, but I would happily take the next cousins. Our QB history is so pathetic anyone cousins level or better would be franchise gold. Give us something to be excited about for a change. We need a QB if we want a SB. no way to do it without it. You can have the best race car in the world, but without a driver its meaningless. Look at 2009 and 2010 as recent examples. If we had just a little more QB play we would be looking at 2 SB's. Those teams were stocked with talent on all sides of the ball. We just didnt have the driver to get us all the way home. Best run game, best o-line, best defense, phenom special teams. No QB...