The New York Jets HomepageThe Official New York Jets Forums
NYJets2011.com
Sponsors




Sponsors
New York Jets Forums / Jets Forum: All Things JETS! / Jets Playbook / The current state of the Franchise, how we got here and how to fix it.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #11  
Old 02-03-2017, 03:11 PM
Gramoah's Avatar
Gramoah Gramoah is offline
Third String
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 811
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by vjdbbq1 View Post
It all starts at the top . We need a 'football' owner . Then , the rest of the pieces will fall into place .
Yes, and, No. An ice skating queen could own this team and have it still be a good team as long as she was smart enough to leave the football decisions up to those she hired that know how to make the decisions. Woody's problem is that he tends to meddle in decisions that he knows nothing about. With that in mind, a new owner "could" be beneficial to this team, but there is no guarantee of that.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 02-03-2017, 05:01 PM
TonyFtLaud's Avatar
TonyFtLaud TonyFtLaud is offline
Third String
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 970
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gramoah View Post
Ha, Ha. That's not saying much. Our local high school team could beat these guys the way they played this season. Sorry to hear that you have medical issues. My younger brother has similar issues. He has a form of A.L.S.. I'll put you on my prayer list my football friend. You are absolutely right that it will likely get worse before it gets better if we do it right. I for one am hoping that we will do it right for a change. No more band aid fixes with hopes of making the playoffs one season and then winding up on bottom again the following year. I would like to see a team on the field that is a contender every year from now on. To achieve this, in my mind, we need to bite the bullet and rebuild a young team and manage player replacements in a way that keeps it young and competitive. I also think that another "good" RB will take a lot of strain off whoever is our QB.
That's true. Perhaps we can move to pop Warner and bask in the glow of multiple Championships.
Thank you for your prayers. I'm sorry to hear about your brother. I was waiting for a heart transplant but was diagnosed with Squamous cell carcinoma. It was removed but unfortunately it disqualified me from reciever the transplant. I'm hanging in there and have hopefully a few years left, if the Jets would just get the rebuild right I may get to see a Championship. But I have been blessed to see my oldest son Graduate NYU and my baby boy begins class at FSU in 3 short months so I am thankful for that. I love football but my boys are my life.
Once a young core is developed, the team can reload each draft. And sprinkle in the occasional Free agent. Would you believe the Patriots have over 65 million in cap space and next season when Brady's salary goes back up ,t hey have just over $92.5 million free. They will draft 12 smart, hard working football players, resign their young free agents and still have 60 plus million to sign anyone they want. I doubt the Patriot fans get upset when one of their vets are released.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 02-03-2017, 11:17 PM
Gramoah's Avatar
Gramoah Gramoah is offline
Third String
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 811
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyFtLaud View Post
That's true. Perhaps we can move to pop Warner and bask in the glow of multiple Championships.
Thank you for your prayers. I'm sorry to hear about your brother. I was waiting for a heart transplant but was diagnosed with Squamous cell carcinoma. It was removed but unfortunately it disqualified me from reciever the transplant. I'm hanging in there and have hopefully a few years left, if the Jets would just get the rebuild right I may get to see a Championship. But I have been blessed to see my oldest son Graduate NYU and my baby boy begins class at FSU in 3 short months so I am thankful for that. I love football but my boys are my life.
Once a young core is developed, the team can reload each draft. And sprinkle in the occasional Free agent. Would you believe the Patriots have over 65 million in cap space and next season when Brady's salary goes back up ,t hey have just over $92.5 million free. They will draft 12 smart, hard working football players, resign their young free agents and still have 60 plus million to sign anyone they want. I doubt the Patriot fans get upset when one of their vets are released.
Holy Shirt !! I had no idea the Pats were that flush. It will take a long time for us to get that well off if we don't start getting smart about our spending. If you think about it, not resigning Fitz, which turned out as I thought it would, a wasted investment, we would be in the black. That one poor decision cost us 12 mil.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 02-03-2017, 11:32 PM
Cheaterhater's Avatar
Cheaterhater Cheaterhater is offline
Second String
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: New Hartford, CT
Posts: 2,378
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyFtLaud View Post
The board tends to quiet down a lot this time of year, except when we are in the Superbowl. Lol but it has been exceptionally quiet. Seems like you me and cheaterhater are the last fans standing.
Honesty, I think Mangold should be offered a lower contact. If he accepts let him stay. If not, he could retire like Brick last year. I love the guy but I think the cap savings would be better come 2019. Decker had 2 major surgeries and may not be ready to play at the start of the season. He will be 30 next month and won't likely be on the roster come 2019. Another player I really like but it just makes sense financially to move on. It's difficult to remove the sentiment, especially as a fan but it is what separates the good teams from the bad. Idzick crippled us and left us in this position. The talent we missed on in 14 would have us in the playoffs a couple players away from the Superbowl. We had so many opportunities to trade up and every round we sat and saw out pick taken one or two picks before us. I think we are closer to $10 million over the cap , including Winters new contract ,and need another $4.5 to sign our draft class. We can clear over $50 million so we are OK there. I just don't want to see the usual restructuring old players and having lots of dead money later. By 2018 ,our cap should be clear of all that dead cap space, Right when the young players are coming into their own. I'd prefer to have all that cap space when Free agents would put us over the top and not spend it on them now in hopes of a wild card. I also think that the young players will grow much faster with more reps and game experience.
We are pretty much in agreement, now we just have to get the FO on board !!!
yup. belichick has proven that you can not show loyalty to anyone. even if they are the reason that you won 3 superbowls. Do I agree with that wway of thinking? Nope. Could I cut a favorite player who has given his life to this team and gotten nothing in return? Nope But it is the way to maintain or build a winning organization
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 02-04-2017, 10:47 AM
TonyFtLaud's Avatar
TonyFtLaud TonyFtLaud is offline
Third String
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 970
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheaterhater View Post
yup. belichick has proven that you can not show loyalty to anyone. even if they are the reason that you won 3 superbowls. Do I agree with that wway of thinking? Nope. Could I cut a favorite player who has given his life to this team and gotten nothing in return? Nope But it is the way to maintain or build a winning organization
I understand your loyalty and I would hate to see some players get released, Mangold for one. But others ,Revis for example held the Jets hostage his entire career here,left for more money than returned, only because the Jets offered the biggest contract.
It's really a business and a good owner and FO take the personal aspect out of the equation.
I will disagree with the statement of a player giving his life to the team and getting nothing in return. Mangold has mage around $50 million dollars the past 6 years, That's for 6 months work.
Ill add the players endure life long injuries , but that's a risk that they knowingly take. Same as Boxers, MMA fighters, race car drivers. It's risk / reward.
I also think most Franchises are happy to bring back a player who spent his entire career back into the franchise in some capacity after their career as a player is over. It's just reread to see a player who spent his entire career with one team.
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 02-04-2017, 04:34 PM
Gramoah's Avatar
Gramoah Gramoah is offline
Third String
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 811
Default

That's why Bilichick manages to keep a productive team on the field. He treats it like it is, a business, and he has had great success as a plug and play coach. He values players that contribute and wishes the no longer contributing players well as he escorts them out the door. That's what our front office has got to learn do. No sentimental decisions from here on out. If a player is doing well what he was hired to do he makes the roster and when he is no longer capable he gets replaced even if is has to be with a rookie. The rookie can learn and improve. My opinion, a struggling rookie learning the ropes doesn't hurt us any more than a seasoned vet who is no longer cutting the mustard. With that said, I'm glad that I'm not the guy that has to make that decision. We tend to get attached to players. They become like family and for most it's difficult to send a family member packing.
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 02-04-2017, 07:21 PM
Cheaterhater's Avatar
Cheaterhater Cheaterhater is offline
Second String
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: New Hartford, CT
Posts: 2,378
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyFtLaud View Post
I understand your loyalty and I would hate to see some players get released, Mangold for one. But others ,Revis for example held the Jets hostage his entire career here,left for more money than returned, only because the Jets offered the biggest contract.
It's really a business and a good owner and FO take the personal aspect out of the equation.
I will disagree with the statement of a player giving his life to the team and getting nothing in return. Mangold has mage around $50 million dollars the past 6 years, That's for 6 months work.
Ill add the players endure life long injuries , but that's a risk that they knowingly take. Same as Boxers, MMA fighters, race car drivers. It's risk / reward.
I also think most Franchises are happy to bring back a player who spent his entire career back into the franchise in some capacity after their career as a player is over. It's just reread to see a player who spent his entire career with one team.
When I said "Get nothing in return" I meant someone like Mangold who has stuck it out on this crap team knowing every year that at best you're playing for second place in your division.

they do make insane money and yup they live in pain for the rest of their lives but you know what? I've done construction of some sort since I was 15. I'm self employed now and for most of my life. I have done a lot of work that destroyed my body, roofs, stonewalls, now plaster, and in my lifetime in total money I'll never make what most of these guys make in a year.

I have had surgery for a herniated disc in my neck, 2 hernias, 1 carpal tunnel and one more carpal tunnel to go. My lower back and shoulders are in pain most of the time. If I had it to do over again I would not even consider doing the same thing. And I have no fans coming to watch me work and cheer me on but even so, unlike most of our Jets, I go out every day and try to do the best job that I can do. and for risk and not much chance for reward. I guess I shouldn't feel sorry for these guys

and as for Revis, once he helped the cheatahs win another superbowl, and for cheap too, I was done with him. I have no problem showing him the door

Last edited by Cheaterhater; 02-04-2017 at 07:24 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 02-06-2017, 03:10 PM
TonyFtLaud's Avatar
TonyFtLaud TonyFtLaud is offline
Third String
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 970
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheaterhater View Post
When I said "Get nothing in return" I meant someone like Mangold who has stuck it out on this crap team knowing every year that at best you're playing for second place in your division.

they do make insane money and yup they live in pain for the rest of their lives but you know what? I've done construction of some sort since I was 15. I'm self employed now and for most of my life. I have done a lot of work that destroyed my body, roofs, stonewalls, now plaster, and in my lifetime in total money I'll never make what most of these guys make in a year.

I have had surgery for a herniated disc in my neck, 2 hernias, 1 carpal tunnel and one more carpal tunnel to go. My lower back and shoulders are in pain most of the time. If I had it to do over again I would not even consider doing the same thing. And I have no fans coming to watch me work and cheer me on but even so, unlike most of our Jets, I go out every day and try to do the best job that I can do. and for risk and not much chance for reward. I guess I shouldn't feel sorry for these guys

and as for Revis, once he helped the cheatahs win another superbowl, and for cheap too, I was done with him. I have no problem showing him the door
If you let us know your next Job site, Gramoah and I will come cheer you on!
Seriously though, I feel your pain. That's what makes watching this team fold so difficult. Your in pain but you get up and go to work to put food on the table and I bet you take pride in everything you do.
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 02-06-2017, 07:21 PM
Gramoah's Avatar
Gramoah Gramoah is offline
Third String
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 811
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyFtLaud View Post
If you let us know your next Job site, Gramoah and I will come cheer you on!
Seriously though, I feel your pain. That's what makes watching this team fold so difficult. Your in pain but you get up and go to work to put food on the table and I bet you take pride in everything you do.
Ha, it will be a shorter trip for me than it will for you. I think that these players, for the most part, are not even aware of the effect that their poor play has on the fan base. They are getting paid no matter how they play and when it gets near contract renewal time many of them think the team and fan base desperately need them and owe them a huge contract. I'm not 100% sure but I don't believe that there is a single member of the Jets organization that has been associated with this team as long as I have. I don't owe very many of these players my loyalty and from here on out they won't get it unless they earn it. Like I said before it's time to clean house and I'm willing to start with Revis. Most of us, feel the same way as cheaterhater, we get enough turmoil at home. We don't need to be aggravated by lazy, self centered players on this team.
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 02-06-2017, 10:40 PM
Cheaterhater's Avatar
Cheaterhater Cheaterhater is offline
Second String
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: New Hartford, CT
Posts: 2,378
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyFtLaud View Post
If you let us know your next Job site, Gramoah and I will come cheer you on!
Seriously though, I feel your pain. That's what makes watching this team fold so difficult. Your in pain but you get up and go to work to put food on the table and I bet you take pride in everything you do.
Hey, you guys were in the military. If anything I should be cheering for you. My job is easy compared to that.

I always say,"rarely does anything ever come out perfect no matter how hard you try so you better darn well be trying your hardest at all times ."
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 12:04 AM. Custom vBulletin Skin by ForumMonkeys. Copyright © 2008 New York Jet LLC