The New York Jets HomepageThe Official New York Jets Forums
NYJets2011.com
Sponsors

Sponsors
New York Jets Forums / Jets Forum: All Things JETS! / Jets Playbook / 2017 still way to early mock draft

Old 02-02-2017, 08:53 AM
Second String

Question 2017 still way to early mock draft

So I know it is still too early to know what teams will need come draft day, what FAs will be signed,lost. Who will rise during combines and who will fall due to performance, arrest, drugs and the like, but why not look at our roster, needs , and current projections in the upcoming draft.
I projected us trading back to the 13 the pick with Arizona for their 1st, #13 and their 4th. Probably a little ambitious but one can dream, maybe package Sheldon for their 6th round pick too.
So here are my picks.
Round 1 #13 Dalvins Cook RB
Round 2 OJ Howard TE
Round 3 Julie'n Davenport LT
Round 4 Damonte Kazee CB
From Arizona Davis Webb QB
Round 5 Sojurn Shelter CB
Round 6 Tyler Orlosky Center
Round 7 Clint Van Horn OT
Reasoning behind the picks.
Cook is the best back in the class and this is one of the best RB classes in years. He is also the best reciever out of all the backs in the class. Fournette is a great back but look at Cook /Fournette vs Florida in back to back weeks.
Howard is a complete TE. Great blocker and great hands. Alabama doesn't pass often but he made the most of his opportunities and was key in the run game.
Julie'n Davenport. Better then Cam Robinson but played at a smaller school. Potential to become a pro bowl LT.
Kazee is the Best corner on the board , coupled with a FA, Gilmore for example is a big step to improving the D backfield.
Webb could be the best QB in this class. I doubt he is available after his senior bowl showing his stock will rise very fast.
Shelter solidifies the CB position which may be the weakest position on the roster.
Tyler Orlosky could be a day 1 starter if Mangold leaves. I think he stays and Orlosky steps in if Mangold gets injured or he spells him this season and replace him next season. Wesley Johnson can play all over the line and becomes a quality depth player for us.
Clint Van Horn another It with potential. Candidate ask for more from a 7th rounder.
So I'll take it a step further and add that for our new OC to have success he will need to do several things. Most important thing is to develop a strong run game. Cook and Powell will be the foundation . Forte is here for the year since we save nothing by cutting him but cook can play slot and is very dangerous in space. This will set up the play action pass we have been sorely missing .
He must get the TE's involved in the offense. A big knock on Gailey, but in fairness, he had no TEs to get involved. Howard changes that.
Fix the O line. Davenport and Orlosky , along with Carpenter Shell, Winters ,and Johnson give us a very solid young core and will hopefully be together for years. Continuity on the O line is key in my opinion.
He has to develop a QB and bring Balance. Not just balance between run and pass but by balance I mean in the Passing game. This season Fitz locked onto Marshall and never looked away and Petty did the same with Anderson. I believe Morton will get all the recievers involved. We need another QB. Webb makes sense. It's a mid round pick and there should be an open competition between Petty,Hack and Webb. I know the feeling is Mac can't draft a QB because he drafted Hack . That's BS. If he hits on a QB this year or next, he will be remembered for that. If he passes on a QB who excelled, he will be judged on Hack and failing to pick a good QB because he was sold on Hack.The worst case scenario, we are in a position to draft a QB high next year or look for a FA but at least we will have a solid O line, run game and some recievers for the QB to throw to. Honesty, Petty may have been ruined all ready by this franchise after last year.Hack will be learning his 4th offense in 5 years, there are no viable FA QBs avail so I think Webb makes sense.
Do we still have holes? Of course. But it improves the offense ten fold. Solidifies the o line and defense. Next season we should have alot of cap space for a good young FA . The roster would be much more attractive to a head coach candidate if Bowles doesn't improve and we should have several compensory picks to fill more holes in the 2018 Draft which should put us well on our way to becoming a very competitive team.
Please share your thoughts and your mock draft for 2017.
Old 02-02-2017, 06:45 PM
Third String

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyFtLaud View Post
So I know it is still too early to know what teams will need come draft day, what FAs will be signed,lost. Who will rise during combines and who will fall due to performance, arrest, drugs and the like, but why not look at our roster, needs , and current projections in the upcoming draft.
I projected us trading back to the 13 the pick with Arizona for their 1st, #13 and their 4th. Probably a little ambitious but one can dream, maybe package Sheldon for their 6th round pick too.
So here are my picks.
Round 1 #13 Dalvins Cook RB
Round 2 OJ Howard TE
Round 3 Julie'n Davenport LT
Round 4 Damonte Kazee CB
From Arizona Davis Webb QB
Round 5 Sojurn Shelter CB
Round 6 Tyler Orlosky Center
Round 7 Clint Van Horn OT
Reasoning behind the picks.
Cook is the best back in the class and this is one of the best RB classes in years. He is also the best reciever out of all the backs in the class. Fournette is a great back but look at Cook /Fournette vs Florida in back to back weeks.
Howard is a complete TE. Great blocker and great hands. Alabama doesn't pass often but he made the most of his opportunities and was key in the run game.
Julie'n Davenport. Better then Cam Robinson but played at a smaller school. Potential to become a pro bowl LT.
Kazee is the Best corner on the board , coupled with a FA, Gilmore for example is a big step to improving the D backfield.
Webb could be the best QB in this class. I doubt he is available after his senior bowl showing his stock will rise very fast.
Shelter solidifies the CB position which may be the weakest position on the roster.
Tyler Orlosky could be a day 1 starter if Mangold leaves. I think he stays and Orlosky steps in if Mangold gets injured or he spells him this season and replace him next season. Wesley Johnson can play all over the line and becomes a quality depth player for us.
Clint Van Horn another It with potential. Candidate ask for more from a 7th rounder.
So I'll take it a step further and add that for our new OC to have success he will need to do several things. Most important thing is to develop a strong run game. Cook and Powell will be the foundation . Forte is here for the year since we save nothing by cutting him but cook can play slot and is very dangerous in space. This will set up the play action pass we have been sorely missing .
He must get the TE's involved in the offense. A big knock on Gailey, but in fairness, he had no TEs to get involved. Howard changes that.
Fix the O line. Davenport and Orlosky , along with Carpenter Shell, Winters ,and Johnson give us a very solid young core and will hopefully be together for years. Continuity on the O line is key in my opinion.
He has to develop a QB and bring Balance. Not just balance between run and pass but by balance I mean in the Passing game. This season Fitz locked onto Marshall and never looked away and Petty did the same with Anderson. I believe Morton will get all the recievers involved. We need another QB. Webb makes sense. It's a mid round pick and there should be an open competition between Petty,Hack and Webb. I know the feeling is Mac can't draft a QB because he drafted Hack . That's BS. If he hits on a QB this year or next, he will be remembered for that. If he passes on a QB who excelled, he will be judged on Hack and failing to pick a good QB because he was sold on Hack.The worst case scenario, we are in a position to draft a QB high next year or look for a FA but at least we will have a solid O line, run game and some recievers for the QB to throw to. Honesty, Petty may have been ruined all ready by this franchise after last year.Hack will be learning his 4th offense in 5 years, there are no viable FA QBs avail so I think Webb makes sense.
Do we still have holes? Of course. But it improves the offense ten fold. Solidifies the o line and defense. Next season we should have alot of cap space for a good young FA . The roster would be much more attractive to a head coach candidate if Bowles doesn't improve and we should have several compensory picks to fill more holes in the 2018 Draft which should put us well on our way to becoming a very competitive team.
Please share your thoughts and your mock draft for 2017.
It's a little too early for me to have gotten this deep into the rebuild, Tony, but I can see that you have put a lot of thought into this. The only two I am familiar with are Cook and Orlosky and I agree with you that they would be good additions. You already know my feeling on the importance of fixing the "O" Line as we have discussed it before. I also agree that drafting another QB, providing that we do fix the "O" Line, is the best move for this team because as you pointed out there is not really any QB in free agency worth spending a lot of money on because it would most likely be a temporary thing and we need to find "THE" QB for this team and it will almost certainly be a guy who came from the draft. I say lets keep looking at young talent. I'll try to get a feel for the others that you mentioned since you did mention them. I wish the front office was smart enough to read the forums. We don't have all the answers but looking back it's easy to see that our input could have helped. Maybe because it's easier to see the shape of something from the outside.
Old 02-02-2017, 10:32 PM
Second String

Again,it's too early but just something to think about. The FO better be doing just that.
There are alot of ways to go in this draft but RB is the strength of this draft followed by D backs. O line is weak but I tried to address the areas of need and best player available.
Honesty, the roster has so many holes, besides DE that we can go BPA every pick and fill needs but I think Cook is going to be very special on Sundays. I live here in the South, have watched Dalvin since high school,am watching his brother James now who honestly appears to be a little ahead of where Dalvin was at his age. https://youtu.be/XP3aEg5j5ks
Possible target for the 2021 draft. Check him out. Freshman with 14 scholarship offers, including Alabama, Michigan, Clemson, Florida and Miami even with his commitment to FSU.
I have seen every play Dalvin was on the Field for at FSU and his ability to escape is unbelievable. Every time he touches the ball he is a threat to score and he played his best against the toughest competition on the biggest stage. I can't tell you how amazing it is to see him bottled up, going to the ground with a defender on his back and then he's gone running alone for a long TD. Look at some of the RBs to come out of FSU recently, Devonte Freeman ,wilder, karlos Williams. Not one is 1/2 as good as Cook. I guess you can tell I'm pretty high on him.
I know that Powell and Forte are serviceable for next year and Running back is a position that many feel is overrated but with the young QBs, a solid backfield takes away alot of the pressure.
O line must be addressed ,we are in agreement there but we can't afford to reach and I believe Davenport would be a top 15 pick if he played at a bigger school.If he performs well at the combine, I wouldn't be at all surprised if he moves way up in the draft. Again, way to early. Was really hoping to get some of the lurkers to come join us and post their thoughts and maybe get the Front Office to see what we see !
Old 02-03-2017, 11:26 PM
Second String

If I had any input I would offer it but I don't follow any college at all except UConn just a little and only because I went there
Old 02-04-2017, 01:46 AM
Second String

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheaterhater View Post
If I had any input I would offer it but I don't follow any college at all except UConn just a little and only because I went there
Down here college football is bigger than the NFL. Honesty when I lived in NY , I barely knew College football existed.It was all about lacrosse for me back then. I was stationed in Southern California and then Seattle so I got hooked on USC and UCLA. I think there are 11 NFL players from NY scools currently in the NFL. While there are close to 200 from Florida schools and should add another 15-20 in this draft.I know U Conn has a good # of players in the league. I think 18. One I watched in high school alot, Darius Butler. Short but so fast. I go to 10 - 12 games a year and at least 1 bowl games. All FSU home games a few UM games, a couple UF games, the orange bowl every year and sometimes the citrus bowl depending on who is playing so I see alot of the ACC and SEC players.
Old 02-04-2017, 11:49 AM
Third String

Quote:
Down here college football is bigger than the NFL. Honesty when I lived in NY , I barely knew College football existed.It was all about lacrosse for me back then. I was stationed in Southern California and then Seattle so I got hooked on USC and UCLA. I think there are 11 NFL players from NY scools currently in the NFL. While there are close to 200 from Florida schools and should add another 15-20 in this draft.I know U Conn has a good # of players in the league. I think 18. One I watched in high school alot, Darius Butler. Short but so fast. I go to 10 - 12 games a year and at least 1 bowl games. All FSU home games a few UM games, a couple UF games, the orange bowl every year and sometimes the citrus bowl depending on who is playing so I see alot of the ACC and SEC players.
Here's a long pass for you. I was stationed, home port, in San Diego California and, temporarily home ported in Bremerton, Washington because our ship, the USS Ticonderoga, was part of the Sea Fair Exhibit of the Seattle Worlds Fair in the 60's. I dated girls from both San Diego State and UCLA and that's when I first became aware of college football. I was both a Bruin and a Trojan fan for a few years. I never got to any of the Aztec games though. I don't follow it as closely now though as I did then. I'm just too busy and crying over the sad shape of the Jets is a full time job.

Last edited by Gramoah; 02-04-2017 at 01:02 PM.
Old 02-04-2017, 01:40 PM
Second String

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gramoah View Post
Here's a long pass for you. I was stationed, home port, in San Diego California and, temporarily home ported in Bremerton Washington because our ship, the USS Ticonderoga, was part of the Sea Fair Exhibit of the Seattle Worlds Fair in the 60's. I dated girls from both San Diego State and UCLA and that's when I first became aware of college football. I was both a Bruin and a Trojan fan for a few years. I never got to any of the Aztec games though. I don't follow it as closely now though as I did then. I'm just too busy and crying over the sad shape of the Jets is a full time job.
Wow. 32nd Street Naval station? That was my home port. Then Todd shipyard in Seattle for retrofit. I was TAD at Whidby Island. After 6 months I cross decked to the East coast and finished my career on The USS Underwood out of Mayport FL. I spent my time on tin cans, a Garcia class frigate and Oliver Hazzard Perry guided missile frigate. Man did we get tossed around in rough seas.
Loved the girls from SDSU ! Had parties every weekend at Michael's just across the border. Good times. Say some SDSU games and alot of UW games but once I hit Mayport I got hooked. The Florida Georgia rivalry was at its peak but I feel for the Noles and went to FSU after I separated from the Navy.
I have to say, youth is truly wasted on the young !
Crying over the Jets is not a job, it's a career. Minus the benefits .
You reminded me of some good times. I thank you for that.
Old 02-04-2017, 02:38 PM
Third String

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheaterhater View Post
Same here I just don't follow it too much but my mother is from West Virginia and she got us rooting for the Mountaineers and Marshall. That's why I was more familiar with Pennington and Geno than most here simply because I've seen both of them play quite a bit prior to coming to the Jets.
Old 02-04-2017, 04:52 PM
Third String

Quote:
Wow. 32nd Street Naval station? That was my home port. Then Todd shipyard in Seattle for retrofit. I was TAD at Whidby Island. After 6 months I cross decked to the East coast and finished my career on The USS Underwood out of Mayport FL. I spent my time on tin cans, a Garcia class frigate and Oliver Hazzard Perry guided missile frigate. Man did we get tossed around in rough seas.
Loved the girls from SDSU ! Had parties every weekend at Michael's just across the border. Good times. Say some SDSU games and alot of UW games but once I hit Mayport I got hooked. The Florida Georgia rivalry was at its peak but I feel for the Noles and went to FSU after I separated from the Navy.
I have to say, youth is truly wasted on the young !
Crying over the Jets is not a job, it's a career. Minus the benefits .
You reminded me of some good times. I thank you for that.
Hope you are good at catching long passes. Here's another one for you. Spent a lot of time in TJ myself and my next ship after the Ticondera was the Sarratoga. You guessed it I'm sure., home ported in Mayport, Florida where my brother joined me for brother duty until my next rotation. And you are right, youth is wasted on the young. I reminded myself of the good times as well. It was farther back for me. The trouble with watching these guys in college is that you never know how well they will adapt to the NFL. Some do it seemlessly, some need a little time, and, some never pull it off. Which ones do we get ??
Old 02-04-2017, 04:55 PM
Third String

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alndln View Post
Same here I just don't follow it too much but my mother is from West Virginia and she got us rooting for the Mountaineers and Marshall. That's why I was more familiar with Pennington and Geno than most here simply because I've seen both of them play quite a bit prior to coming to the Jets.
Welcome to the conversation. There aren't many of us on here this time of year. This is my indoor season and when I'm not working on a book I spend a lot of time on line.