The New York Jets HomepageThe Official New York Jets Forums
NYJets2011.com
Sponsors

Sponsors

Old 03-03-2017, 11:08 PM
Second String

Default Reason to Be Excited

Mac is purging - this is a full rebuild - the first one in I dont know how long if ever.

TB - purged coach staff. At the time it felt like he was cleaning house because of the failed season. Now it could also be argued he has brought in more teachers and mentors - a staff tailored to support a rebuild with young players.

To be honest I am very excited (cautiously but very). This is a different look for the Jets. We never call it broke. We always band aid in the past.

Now Mac is saying every pick is available to trade down. Very excited. I really dont care if 17 is a wash if it means we finally build a foundation for the years to come. One has to think that 2015 success caused them to put plans on hold in 2016 and now that 2016 was a bust they finally can tear this shipwreck apart
Old 03-04-2017, 03:27 AM
Third String

I'm cautiously excited as well. In a situation like this even if Mac makes all the right moves it's going to take time to see any fruit. However I do have some mixed feelings about some of the older Vets. I was glad to see Marshall cut (cancer) but sad to see the end of Revis. I wish it had a better ending for his sake and our memories of when he was something to brag about, but time catches up to the best of them.
Sorry to see Mangold retire but it was time sadly. But the rest? Bye Bye. I guess Decker might be next. No tears.
Old 03-04-2017, 07:04 AM
Second String

It's about time this site works again. What the heck? So we are rebuilding now. we have until belichick retires to figure out how to win and that will be a long long time, but when he's finally gone we may just be able to beat those cheatahs cause they wont be cheatahs anymore.

I hope Woody's on board with this. otherwise when we stink this season he'll can everyone .

Maybe this was the plan in 2015 but the good old Jets screwed it up by winning too many games so 16 became a confused mess.

I just hope we bring in smart young players who want to win

Unlike most everyone else , I liked Brandon Marshall... except when he was dropping big passes... and Revis was done for me once he helped the cheatahs win their 50th superbowl so good riddance.

can't wait to see who the qb is this year. I really don't want any of the free agents out there
Old 03-04-2017, 03:07 PM
Third String

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheaterhater View Post
It's about time this site works again. What the heck? So we are rebuilding now. we have until belichick retires to figure out how to win and that will be a long long time, but when he's finally gone we may just be able to beat those cheatahs cause they wont be cheatahs anymore.

I hope Woody's on board with this. otherwise when we stink this season he'll can everyone .

Maybe this was the plan in 2015 but the good old Jets screwed it up by winning too many games so 16 became a confused mess.

I just hope we bring in smart young players who want to win

Unlike most everyone else , I liked Brandon Marshall... except when he was dropping big passes... and Revis was done for me once he helped the cheatahs win their 50th superbowl so good riddance.

can't wait to see who the qb is this year. I really don't want any of the free agents out there
My sentiment as well. I've been trying to bring it to someones attention for over a week. Really sad it took so long but, to whoever is responsible for getting it fixed, THANK YOU. I like this rebuild effort as well. I got my wish. I was tired of supporting players who either wouldn't or couldn't give their all for the entire game. Now let's just hope that they will staff players, preferably young, who really have the desire and stamina to compete.
Old 03-05-2017, 10:28 AM
Can't Spell "Geno" | Mr Kazoo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gramoah View Post
My sentiment as well. I've been trying to bring it to someones attention for over a week. Really sad it took so long but, to whoever is responsible for getting it fixed, THANK YOU. I like this rebuild effort as well. I got my wish. I was tired of supporting players who either wouldn't or couldn't give their all for the entire game. Now let's just hope that they will staff players, preferably young, who really have the desire and stamina to compete.
If they start going after free agents and continue the fix it now philosophy, then all this purging was for not.

If on the other hand they sign some aging free agents for little money to mentor the young players, they rebuild their roster to deepen their bench, and try to develop young players; then they are doing it right.

Sure their going to be unwatchable at first, but as the season draws towards the end, you should see a team that has improved and has a bright future. If the 1st part happens and the 2nd part doesn't (team improves), then your coaches must go. If neither part happens, all I can say is I am so sorry.

I do hope and pray that they will do the right thing. The 50th anniversary of the Jets 1968 Super Bowl victory is coming up. Wouldn't it be great if the Jets had a good shot in 2018 for the big one? Who would be better than Namath to hand the Lombardi trophy to the Jets?

Ok, I hope Namath stays alive long enough to see the Jets win the big one.
Old 03-06-2017, 05:51 PM
Second String

It's amazing isn't it? We finish 4-12 a couple of months ago. All is doom and gloom.

Then Free Agency and the Draft arrive. Happy days are here again!!

We have a lot of holes to fill. Out of all the players we let go, I was sad to see Nick Mangold leave. He has been the ultimate pro for us, just like D'Brickashaw Ferguson was. But time and injury catch up with the best. I still think he'll get no shortage of offers, but from a business standpoint, I get why we are letting him go.

The next few days are going to be a whirlwind, then we'll have a better idea of where we stand as far as draft priorities.

It'll be a very different roster next season, but I think letting these big names go now will make us a better team for it.

Old 03-06-2017, 07:54 PM
Second String

Quote:
Originally Posted by estuaryman View Post
It's amazing isn't it? We finish 4-12 a couple of months ago. All is doom and gloom.

Then Free Agency and the Draft arrive. Happy days are here again!!

We have a lot of holes to fill. Out of all the players we let go, I was sad to see Nick Mangold leave. He has been the ultimate pro for us, just like D'Brickashaw Ferguson was. But time and injury catch up with the best. I still think he'll get no shortage of offers, but from a business standpoint, I get why we are letting him go.

The next few days are going to be a whirlwind, then we'll have a better idea of where we stand as far as draft priorities.

It'll be a very different roster next season, but I think letting these big names go now will make us a better team for it.
We Jet fans have short memories - how else could we be fans of this franchise =)

I hope the Jets dont get Glennon in FA. I really think he is not worth it. 14-15 M they say he wants per year. If you read his scouting report he sounds a lot like Hack. Big arm, makes all the throws but not accurate and overthrows a lot.

At that rate better off starting Bryce or Hack.

I was sad to see Mangold go. He was a standup team leader, wish they would have offered him a pay cut. Revis on the otherhand I dont have a lot of sentiment left for. He has raked us over the coals so many years and last year was a huge let down as he is the only true star we have (and we paid him like one).

I would be ok with bringing Geno back as a backup or starter in case our young guys are not ready. He could be had for 1.5 to 2 M.

This QB class stinks so I hope they dont draft one, I would much rather we use the picks on OL, DB, TE, and even RB
Old 03-06-2017, 08:53 PM
Third String

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForeverGreen View Post
We Jet fans have short memories - how else could we be fans of this franchise =)

I hope the Jets dont get Glennon in FA. I really think he is not worth it. 14-15 M they say he wants per year. If you read his scouting report he sounds a lot like Hack. Big arm, makes all the throws but not accurate and overthrows a lot.

At that rate better off starting Bryce or Hack.

I was sad to see Mangold go. He was a standup team leader, wish they would have offered him a pay cut. Revis on the otherhand I dont have a lot of sentiment left for. He has raked us over the coals so many years and last year was a huge let down as he is the only true star we have (and we paid him like one).

I would be ok with bringing Geno back as a backup or starter in case our young guys are not ready. He could be had for 1.5 to 2 M.

This QB class stinks so I hope they dont draft one, I would much rather we use the picks on OL, DB, TE, and even RB
I would have liked to have seen Mangold get the benefit of a salary negotiation as well. He liked being a Jet and in spite of his age he still played at a high level and even with the injury he missed very few games. I understand why they did it but in my mind they might have been able to work something out that would be beneficial to both sides. I'm not a Geno fan and as you pointed out the QB draft this year is far from great so I'm expecting that they will go to free agency for that position which is a little unnerving. Who is available that we can afford that is guaranteed to be a better option than Geno ? I'm at a loss to answer that question right now.
Old 03-07-2017, 08:02 AM
Second String

couldn't we still bring back Mangold at a reduced rate? I'd hate to see him as a cheatah but I'm sure he'd like to get the ring. Marshall may learn to cheat for a ring next year also. And no way he would drop a single pass if he did

Just 2 years ago we were planning to enter the season with Geno as starter and Fitz as backup. Sadly, with whats out there now, Geno for 1.5-2 mil might still be the best option. None of those other guys available in FA is bringing anyone to the superbowl unless they join the cheatahs
Old 03-07-2017, 01:45 PM
Third String

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheaterhater View Post
Sadly, with whats out there now, Geno for 1.5-2 mil might still be the best option.
Agreed plus he knows the playbook inside & out. We don't want to see him wind up as a cheap backup for Miami or Buffalo along with our playbook. Besides, given the proper shot he just might surprise us all. His biggest obstacle is fan bias because the weapons and talent are there.