The New York Jets HomepageThe Official New York Jets Forums
NYJets2011.com
Sponsors

Sponsors
New York Jets Forums / Jets Forum: All Things JETS! / Jets Playbook / NY Jets off season suspension tracker

Old 04-18-2017, 07:24 PM
Third String

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyFtLaud View Post
Unfortunately, it will never happen. Not with the Jets or any professional sports franchise. The pool of athletes is a mirror of our society. As long as kids get special treatment due to athletic ability, it will continue. The fact that a large percentage of the top athletes come from the most impoverished segments of society, where they are exposed to the culture of drugs, violence and abuse only adds to the problem.
Look at our current roster, if we eliminate every player with a history of drugs, violence, arrests. Who would be left?
Just off the top of my head, the 3 most recent, Sheldon, Mo, Enunwa.
Could the Jets field a team with players who have no prior arrests, drug issues, concerns? Yes. Could that team compete with the rest of the league? Not a chance.
The biggest question is, where do you draw the line. The 3 latest are not quality starters so easy to cut and send a message , but what if a player like Williams gets in trouble? Do we cut him or, more likely, does he get a pass. The majority of Jets fans will jump to his defense due to his abilities on the field.
There was a large debate on another forum about Sheldon's incident driving 143 mph. The feeling was it Should have warranted being cut instantly, and because of it, he should be traded this off season or released. The fact that Mo, who was also involved in a driving incident where he was also driving recklessly, crashed his vehicle, hit a pickup truck severely injuring the occupants, injuring himself and his 3 passengers, leading to his arrest and suspension was seen as much less significant.
Most fans defended Mo. Now in my opinion, both were incredibly stupid acts. The fact that Mo actually caused injury to 5 people and himself along with property damage makes it a little worse but either could have ended in fatalities.
Mo is given a pass by most because he is seen as being a key to the Jets success.
As long as winning games is the ultimate goal. Things will not change. Not on the Jets, not on the College level or even on the JV and varsity levels in highschool
I guess I rambled on , sorry about that...
No problem. I have a tendency to ramble on myself from time to time. Heck, I even make money by rambling on from time to time. As I mentioned earlier, I wouldn't boot them for a first time, or even a second time, infraction, but they should be made to pay for those infractions so as to, hopefully, curtail the problem before it becomes a habit or hurts the team. Really hefty fines for instance that they should be made aware of up front when they sign their contracts. I'm not a believer in holding a persons past against them but I do expect them to be accountable for the here and now.
Old 04-18-2017, 09:27 PM
Second String

I agree but the collective bargaining agreement limits teams ability to levy fines.
The players loose their pay during suspension so in the case of 4 game suspensions, that's a quarter of their yearly salary.I believe that they still have to pay taxes on the lost income as well.
The problem is it that the behavior is condoned​ throughout the league.
NE is a perfect example, Rob Ninkovich was suspended for 4 games for PED use , the Patriots restructured his contract to minimize the amount of money he would loose from the suspension.
It's the win at all costs attitude that is rampant in sports at all levels and in the end, the players that get the pass are the ultimate losers.
Eventually the sense of entitlement cost them everything they have.
I'd prefer to see teams demand mandatory counseling. Maybe give these young kids the life skills they are clearly missing instead of enabling them for the sake of wins.
Old 04-20-2017, 10:39 PM
Third String

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyFtLaud View Post
I agree but the collective bargaining agreement limits teams ability to levy fines.
The players loose their pay during suspension so in the case of 4 game suspensions, that's a quarter of their yearly salary.I believe that they still have to pay taxes on the lost income as well.
The problem is it that the behavior is condoned​ throughout the league.
NE is a perfect example, Rob Ninkovich was suspended for 4 games for PED use , the Patriots restructured his contract to minimize the amount of money he would loose from the suspension.
It's the win at all costs attitude that is rampant in sports at all levels and in the end, the players that get the pass are the ultimate losers.
Eventually the sense of entitlement cost them everything they have.
I'd prefer to see teams demand mandatory counseling. Maybe give these young kids the life skills they are clearly missing instead of enabling them for the sake of wins.
Right, somehow the enabling has to stop.