The New York Jets HomepageThe Official New York Jets Forums
NYJets2011.com
Sponsors




Sponsors

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 05-19-2017, 11:56 AM
csantilli csantilli is offline
Third String
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Saratoga Springs, NY area
Posts: 272
Default Fitz

Really??
Just saw Ryan Fitzpatrick signed with Tampa Bay for one year, $3million..
One year, $3m? He held out forever, telling us he was worth $14-18m/year... So I guess the Jets were right, but still paid him $12m... and now he's taking $9m less... good grief. Incredible how watered down the QB position is in this league.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 05-19-2017, 07:20 PM
TonyFtLaud's Avatar
TonyFtLaud TonyFtLaud is offline
Second String
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 1,087
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by csantilli View Post
Really??
Just saw Ryan Fitzpatrick signed with Tampa Bay for one year, $3million..
One year, $3m? He held out forever, telling us he was worth $14-18m/year... So I guess the Jets were right, but still paid him $12m... and now he's taking $9m less... good grief. Incredible how watered down the QB position is in this league.
You have to take into account that last year Fitz was coming off a career year , 10 wins and set the Jets statistical record for best season in franchise history. Bowles got into Woody's ear and Fitz was resigned. His value was really around $8-9 million but between Bowles naming him starter when he wasn't even on the roster, Mangold,Decker and Marshall running a public campaign for their buddy, and Woody announcing Fitz would be the starter. Fitz had all the leverage. Even at $12 million, there were many avg starting QBs making more. He had other offers, the Broncos had a 3 year offer on the table for more than $12 mill per year. Fortunately Fitz decided on a 1 year prove it deal. He failed and lost millions as a result.
Poor play and injuries last year dropped his value to an all time low. Fitz is no longer a starting option, only a veteran backup for an emergency situation. Hence the lower value.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 05-20-2017, 11:14 AM
Gramoah's Avatar
Gramoah Gramoah is offline
Third String
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 894
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyFtLaud View Post
You have to take into account that last year Fitz was coming off a career year , 10 wins and set the Jets statistical record for best season in franchise history. Bowles got into Woody's ear and Fitz was resigned. His value was really around $8-9 million but between Bowles naming him starter when he wasn't even on the roster, Mangold,Decker and Marshall running a public campaign for their buddy, and Woody announcing Fitz would be the starter. Fitz had all the leverage. Even at $12 million, there were many avg starting QBs making more. He had other offers, the Broncos had a 3 year offer on the table for more than $12 mill per year. Fortunately Fitz decided on a 1 year prove it deal. He failed and lost millions as a result.
Poor play and injuries last year dropped his value to an all time low. Fitz is no longer a starting option, only a veteran backup for an emergency situation. Hence the lower value.
That about sums it up and this could very well be his last season in the NFL.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 05-23-2017, 12:37 PM
csantilli csantilli is offline
Third String
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Saratoga Springs, NY area
Posts: 272
Default

His 'career' season was smoke and mirrors. Watching every game, he truly was not that great. So many balls were poorly thrown, so many more coulda/shoulda been INTs... so many balls were not conducive to YAC for our receivers...

Just sayin.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 05-23-2017, 02:08 PM
TonyFtLaud's Avatar
TonyFtLaud TonyFtLaud is offline
Second String
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 1,087
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by csantilli View Post
His 'career' season was smoke and mirrors. Watching every game, he truly was not that great. So many balls were poorly thrown, so many more coulda/shoulda been INTs... so many balls were not conducive to YAC for our receivers...

Just sayin.
I agree that he played much worse in 15 then the record or stats would have us believe. He had 31 dropped interceptions that season. We played a weak schedule and we escaped with several wins that could have easily been losses.
That doesn't change the $market for QBs and what they get paid,or the earlier offers Fitz received. He actually received 7 mill for last season. He is counting $5 mill this season.
That's what's really sad. We are paying him $5 million to play for Tampa and Tampa is paying him$3 million. The same will happen with Revis if he gets signed. Or else we will be paying him $6 million not to play.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 05-24-2017, 06:56 PM
Gramoah's Avatar
Gramoah Gramoah is offline
Third String
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 894
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyFtLaud View Post
I agree that he played much worse in 15 then the record or stats would have us believe. He had 31 dropped interceptions that season. We played a weak schedule and we escaped with several wins that could have easily been losses.
That doesn't change the $market for QBs and what they get paid,or the earlier offers Fitz received. He actually received 7 mill for last season. He is counting $5 mill this season.
That's what's really sad. We are paying him $5 million to play for Tampa and Tampa is paying him$3 million. The same will happen with Revis if he gets signed. Or else we will be paying him $6 million not to play.

IF
Revis plays this season I'm betting it will be as a safety and that he won't be a star player at that position either. He was one of the best, if not the best, at one time but those days are over. His play from here on out will have little impact on the outcome of games in my opinion. It's too bad that his play still cost us money. His agent was just a better negotiator than our GM at that time. We should never have caved to that deal.

Last edited by Gramoah; 05-24-2017 at 07:00 PM.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 04:01 AM. Custom vBulletin Skin by ForumMonkeys. Copyright © 2008 New York Jet LLC