The New York Jets HomepageThe Official New York Jets Forums
NYJets2011.com
Sponsors

Sponsors

Old 01-26-2016, 12:19 AM
Third String

Default Patriots Fire OL Coach Dave DeGuglielmo

Some may look at this like using him as a scapegoat for yesterdays loss but I for one don't blame them after not only yesterdays awful OL performance but the OL has been average at best even with no injuries.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...ve-line-coach/
Old 01-26-2016, 02:13 AM
Can't Spell "Geno" | Mr Kazoo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alndln View Post
Some may look at this like using him as a scapegoat for yesterdays loss but I for one don't blame them after not only yesterdays awful OL performance but the OL has been average at best even with no injuries.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...ve-line-coach/
Alndln, I posed a question to both Titan and Jetstream as to why the Broncos were able to get to Brady. Titan's excuse was he didn't see the game. Jetstream as usual ducked the issue and went on and on about childish things.

So maybe you will appreciate an analysis of the situation, because I am hoping you are much more football savvy then the aforementioned forum members.

The Broncos could only send 3 or 4 pass rushers every play because if they sent anymore, Brady's ability to destroy a blitz is well understood by NFL coaches. You will note that during most of the game, the Broncos rarely blitzed Brady. Keep in mind the Broncos blitzed quite a bit during the season, but Phillips wisely showed restraint from doing this.

The Patriots depending on formation and play usually had 5 to 6 offensive lineman to block these pass rushers. Yes I did say 6 which includes a blocking tight end (Williams) or another lineman named Flemming. The Broncos not respecting the Patriots running game only had 5 men on the box, where one or two of them would go back into coverage typically.

So we all know the Broncos have a very good defensive line, but why were 3-4 rushers able to get to Brady within 3 seconds when you had 5-6 blockers for the Patriots? Also keep in mind especially when the Pats had 6 offensive linemen blocking, that left them with 4 receivers trying to get open when there are 7 -8 defenders.

The Pats as you may expect needed to go with a silent count offense. Usually when the Pats are at home or in a non hostile fan setting, Brady can go up to the line, audible if necessary and also call out the blocking assignments. This was not the case in a noisy Sports Authority field. The blocking assignments in a case like this needs to be called out by the center. What probably annoyed Belichick was that Bryan Stork and the line were doing a lousy job in this area since you saw numerous pass rushers getting to Brady without ever being blocked. What he was also upset about was the fact that Miller and Ware had figured out Bryan Stork's snap tendency and no adjustments were being made about it. If I could tell the snap tendency watching the game on my TV, I am pretty sure Denver's coaches and players could also. So when it is all said and done 5-6 offensive lineman could not do a reasonable job blocking 3-4 pass rushers.

By the way this strategy is nothing new, both Rex Ryan and Spagnuolo used this strategy in the past.

I think the ill prepared offensive line for this game was Belichick's last straw with DeGuglielmo. Granted the Patriots had quite a few injuries, but what probably upset Belichick was that the rookie lineman like David Andrews, Shaq Mason, Tre Jackson were not developing or improving under DeGuglielmo is my guess. Otherwise there may have been strong philosophical differences also. Also keep in mind two years ago DeGuglielmo replaced legendary offensive line coach Dante Scarnecchia who some feel is the best offensive line coach in the history of the game. So DeGuglielmo had big shoes to fill.

This Titan and JetStream is what is called football analysis and I await your Captain Obvious reply!
Old 01-26-2016, 02:34 AM
Can't Spell "Geno" | Mr Kazoo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patriot View Post
Alndln, I posed a question to both Titan and Jetstream as to why the Broncos were able to get to Brady. Titan's excuse was he didn't see the game. Jetstream as usual ducked the issue and went on and on about childish things.

So maybe you will appreciate an analysis of the situation, because I am hoping you are much more football savvy then the aforementioned forum members.

The Broncos could only send 3 or 4 pass rushers every play because if they sent anymore, Brady's ability to destroy a blitz is well understood by NFL coaches. You will note that during most of the game, the Broncos rarely blitzed Brady. Keep in mind the Broncos blitzed quite a bit during the season, but Phillips wisely showed restraint from doing this.

The Patriots depending on formation and play usually had 5 to 6 offensive lineman to block these pass rushers. Yes I did say 6 which includes a blocking tight end (Williams) or another lineman named Flemming. The Broncos not respecting the Patriots running game only had 5 men on the box, where one or two of them would go back into coverage typically.

So we all know the Broncos have a very good defensive line, but why were 3-4 rushers able to get to Brady within 3 seconds when you had 5-6 blockers for the Patriots? Also keep in mind especially when the Pats had 6 offensive linemen blocking, that left them with 4 receivers trying to get open when there are 7 -8 defenders.

The Pats as you may expect needed to go with a silent count offense. Usually when the Pats are at home or in a non hostile fan setting, Brady can go up to the line, audible if necessary and also call out the blocking assignments. This was not the case in a noisy Sports Authority field. The blocking assignments in a case like this needs to be called out by the center. What probably annoyed Belichick was that Bryan Stork and the line were doing a lousy job in this area since you saw numerous pass rushers getting to Brady without ever being blocked. What he was also upset about was the fact that Miller and Ware had figured out Bryan Stork's snap tendency and no adjustments were being made about it. If I could tell the snap tendency watching the game on my TV, I am pretty sure Denver's coaches and players could also. So when it is all said and done 5-6 offensive lineman could not do a reasonable job blocking 3-4 pass rushers.

By the way this strategy is nothing new, both Rex Ryan and Spagnuolo used this strategy in the past.

I think the ill prepared offensive line for this game was Belichick's last straw with DeGuglielmo. Granted the Patriots had quite a few injuries, but what probably upset Belichick was that the rookie lineman like David Andrews, Shaq Mason, Tre Jackson were not developing or improving under DeGuglielmo is my guess. Otherwise there may have been strong philosophical differences also. Also keep in mind two years ago DeGuglielmo replaced legendary offensive line coach Dante Scarnecchia who some feel is the best offensive line coach in the history of the game. So DeGuglielmo had big shoes to fill.

This Titan and JetStream is what is called football analysis and I await your Captain Obvious reply!
Believe it or not, I also left one more important tidbit. Most viewers of the game saw both Miller and Ware getting to Brady. It is not unusual to see a good QB like Brady just stepping up into the pocket to avoid the fast outside edge rushers. So why didn't Brady just step up into the pocket? The reason is because the interior defensive lineman of the Broncos Derek Wolfe and Malik Jackson were also having their way. Brady could not step up because as he was getting pressure from Miller and Ware outside he was also dealing with a collapsing pocket inside from Broncos Derek Wolfe and Malik Jackson.

What people don't realize is that a collapsing pocket with pressure coming from the inside reduces the ability of a QB to see the field and follow threw with his release. I have been the victim of such situation when I played football and I can tell you it really sucks! Sure getting sacked by Miller and Ware is scary, but getting hit by bigger interior lineman like Derek Wolfe and Malik Jackson is even scarier. I am pretty sure Brady is having nightmares about this game, I would.
Old 01-26-2016, 03:34 AM
Third String

Quote:

Bingo. The Bronco's had only Brady to focus on because they knew the Pats rarely ran the ball and when they did they were rarely successful So I can't put all the blame on DeGuglielmo. Injuries or not I can put some of the blame on him for not improving what he had to work with. The other half of that blame goes on the GM for lack of depth. With a guy like Brady they will always at least 5 OL but with no running game to keep the PR's guessing all they have to do is focus on one target. As I said in another thread here, I hope they don't steal Ivory from us.
Old 01-26-2016, 04:49 AM
Second String

Yes, the Patriots have 'only' got to the AFC Championship game this year and so heads must roll. Sort of puts some other teams' ambitions in perspective. Another discordant note was that the comms pointed out that by beating the Patriots Denver joined a long list of teams with eight Superbowl appearances.
Old 01-26-2016, 06:07 AM

Quote:

hey brightlight....I didnt duck any issues.....simply didn't see that specific question. Why did Denv. get to TB.....because Denv has a very good defense, very fast lineman, good backs who create coverage pressure......and the Pats oline wasn't very good. They had 2nd string guys in their due to injuries as well.

good enough for you?

Oh yeah....and when your start your rant with "I think"...then call it football analysis....it's really more of an opinion.
Old 01-26-2016, 06:09 AM

Quote:
Believe it or not, I also left one more important tidbit. Most viewers of the game saw both Miller and Ware getting to Brady. It is not unusual to see a good QB like Brady just stepping up into the pocket to avoid the fast outside edge rushers. So why didn't Brady just step up into the pocket? The reason is because the interior defensive lineman of the Broncos Derek Wolfe and Malik Jackson were also having their way. Brady could not step up because as he was getting pressure from Miller and Ware outside he was also dealing with a collapsing pocket inside from Broncos Derek Wolfe and Malik Jackson.

What people don't realize is that a collapsing pocket with pressure coming from the inside reduces the ability of a QB to see the field and follow threw with his release. I have been the victim of such situation when I played football and I can tell you it really sucks! Sure getting sacked by Miller and Ware is scary, but getting hit by bigger interior lineman like Derek Wolfe and Malik Jackson is even scarier. I am pretty sure Brady is having nightmares about this game, I would.
Who here do you assume don't realize that?
Old 01-26-2016, 02:45 PM
Should Be Banned :)
Expert or Post Too Much - You Decide :)

Quote:

Old 01-26-2016, 05:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green Titan View Post
wait.....WHAT ??!!
Old 01-26-2016, 08:14 PM
Third String

Was this an impulse firing? Do they have someone better in mind? I guess time will tell.