The New York Jets HomepageThe Official New York Jets Forums
NYJets2011.com
Sponsors

Sponsors

View Poll Results: Dome?, No Dome? Retractable roof?
Dome 4 20.00%
No Dome 7 35.00%
Retractable Roof 9 45.00%
Voters: 20. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-18-2009, 06:25 PM
Veteran

Default Dome or no Dome?

Lets get some votes tallied up here. What do you think the Jets and Giants should`ve done with the most expensive stadium ever built in the history of mankind? Should they have put a roof or not? Retractable roof?

Just a few points I`d like to make about this. First off, I live in NJ. I pay the highest property taxes in the nation(not me specifically, but NJ has the highest in the nation). A domed stadium would be extremely beneficial to us taxpayers. I`ve been a season ticket holder since they moved to NJ and attended a few games at Shea dating back to around 1980. So I`ve been a Jets fanatic since I was about 15 years old. I liked the Jets prior to that age but I was too young to go to games until I was 15 when I could go by myself. I`ve been through it all. Monsoon rains, blizzard conditions vs Steelers, ice cold temps and wind chills in the sub-teens. I`ve also been through some BRUTALLY scorching heat and sun. The kind where the blacktop looked like we were in the desert. Just brutal stuff. I no longer find that interesting or fun at all. As I got older, I am more of a fairweather fan I guess(actually the cold doesn`t bother me as much as the heat). I myself, prefer to have a retractable roof but ultimately a domed roof since I don`t find what other people may think is enjoyable. Many years ago I lived for inclement weather, especially for football games. I no longer find it desirable to be honest. I`d like to know what you people here on this board think. Three options to vote on.
Old 12-18-2009, 06:37 PM
Super Moderator
Help Me - I'm Addicted

Retractable, I mean why not. If it meant being able to bring more super Bowls to the stadium than the one that they might get, then why not. If it didn't significantly increase the cost to the fan, then why not. But personally, it wouldn't be a factor in deciding whether or not I was going to go to a game, or whether or not I was going to purchase a PSL. No matter the weather, I'd go to the game. But if it's not for you, I understand. It's like the military, it's not for everyone.
Old 12-18-2009, 06:53 PM
Hall Of Famer
Help Me - I'm Addicted

I vote no roof, unless they promise to open the retractable roof in blizzard weather. That is football weather and nothing beats it.
your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our
countrymen. --Samuel Adams
Old 12-18-2009, 08:12 PM
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Section319 View Post
Lets get some votes tallied up here. What do you think the Jets and Giants should`ve done with the most expensive stadium ever built in the history of mankind? Should they have put a roof or not? Retractable roof?

Just a few points I`d like to make about this. First off, I live in NJ. I pay the highest property taxes in the nation(not me specifically, but NJ has the highest in the nation). A domed stadium would be extremely beneficial to us taxpayers. I`ve been a season ticket holder since they moved to NJ and attended a few games at Shea dating back to around 1980. So I`ve been a Jets fanatic since I was about 15 years old. I liked the Jets prior to that age but I was too young to go to games until I was 15 when I could go by myself. I`ve been through it all. Monsoon rains, blizzard conditions vs Steelers, ice cold temps and wind chills in the sub-teens. I`ve also been through some BRUTALLY scorching heat and sun. The kind where the blacktop looked like we were in the desert. Just brutal stuff. I no longer find that interesting or fun at all. As I got older, I am more of a fairweather fan I guess(actually the cold doesn`t bother me as much as the heat). I myself, prefer to have a retractable roof but ultimately a domed roof since I don`t find what other people may think is enjoyable. Many years ago I lived for inclement weather, especially for football games. I no longer find it desirable to be honest. I`d like to know what you people here on this board think. Three options to vote on.
Roof. Hated sitting in the cold rain for 3+ hours. Also, cheerleaders should not be wearing rain gear.
Old 12-18-2009, 09:33 PM
Hall Of Famer
Help Me - I'm Addicted

Quote:
Originally Posted by Section319 View Post

I made a mistake on my vote. I should have voted for a retractable dome. Can a Moderator change this?
Thanks
Old 12-18-2009, 11:30 PM
Rookie

I voted no dome. The weather is supposed to be a factor, that's why certain guys are so much better than others - they can still play at a ridiculously high level in poor weather. That's why they get paid the big bucks. I think a dome should only be used in the south, where due to the physical nature of the game the heat of the sun can (and has) killed. Aside from that, especially in the Northeast, there's no reason for one.

I also vote real grass, so that definitely eliminates dome. As far as retractable goes, unlike baseball which stops in the rain, football is all weather, so why bother? I'm not even considering fan comfort, only because it's not much of an issue for me. The worst part for me is driving in bad weather, not the game...can they put a dome on the turnpike?
Old 12-19-2009, 01:24 AM
Veteran

I think they should find a way to cover the fans in inclement weather, but the field should be open to the elements, football is an outdoor sport and should be played like one, who doesn't like watching a good game in the snow!!
Old 12-19-2009, 03:59 AM
Veteran

Thumbs down Dome or No Dome? Retractable Roof?

It's outright ridiculous that there was no dome or retractable roof created for this new stadium. With all of the money dumped into this project, they could've easily afforded a retractable roof, which would've been recouped as soon as the new stadium was granted its first Super Bowl. Joke!
Old 12-19-2009, 06:29 AM
Help Me - I'm Addicted

Send a message via Yahoo to Jets337

I went for the retractable roof. Cold doesn't bother me much, but I can't stand the rain.
Old 12-19-2009, 07:14 AM
Hall Of Famer
Help Me - I'm Addicted

Quote:
Originally Posted by JETSFEST View Post
It's outright ridiculous that there was no dome or retractable roof created for this new stadium. With all of the money dumped into this project, they could've easily afforded a retractable roof, which would've been recouped as soon as the new stadium was granted its first Super Bowl. Joke!
I agree, I feel the same way.