The New York Jets HomepageThe Official New York Jets Forums
NYJets2011.com
Sponsors

Sponsors
New York Jets Forums / Jets Forum: All Things JETS! / Jets Playbook / Jim Leonhard says there’s a “very good possibility” he’ll re-sign with the Jets

Old 04-16-2012, 08:22 AM
Hall Of Famer
Help Me - I'm Addicted

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spiggew22 View Post
Thats the point though. You think it is important to keep him but if the Jets keep he will most likely not start, so how much benefit is that?

If its just for depth then he needs to come cheap
Why wouldn't he start?
your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our
countrymen. --Samuel Adams
Old 04-16-2012, 08:41 AM
Veteran

if the Denver broncos could roll out B dawkins for the games he was able to participate in, then the Jets should get the same benefit from Leonard

he might not always be on the field, and there is a chance he is more likely to be injured then a younger safety is, but he is a knowledge base and while he is in, he can control that backfield

that is worth it - just like it was for the broncos last year.

South FL
Old 04-16-2012, 10:01 AM
Hall Of Famer
Help Me - I'm Addicted

1. Leonhard is important because he understands the D and is a good leader/character guy to have in the locker room.
2. He played very well last season in both coverage and helping with the run (even though he is a FS and has less responsibility in that department).
3. He played MOST of the season...every game until his freak injury at the very end of the season 2 yrs ago. Last year he had another freak injury at the end of the season and had played in every game before that. He's not necessarily "injury prone". If he heals to %100 there's no reason to think he can't play the full season- IMO (I'm not a doctor and haven't examined his injuries). But it seems like he had a broken leg and tear and has not had much injury history before (I believe). Although both serious injuries, they are not necessarily "re-curring" injuries that will sideline you periodically throughout the season.
4. As someone mentioned already. There is no reason we can't draft a safety to eventually take over the SS or FS spot. Landry signed a 1yr deal, Smith has 1yr left, Leonhard will probably sign for 1yr as well...

Having Landry, Smith, Leonhard, Wilson and lets say Iloka would give us great depth at safety, something we have desperately needed for the past two-three years. Something we WILL desperately need with the emergence of big, athletic, receiving TE's in the NFL.
Old 04-16-2012, 05:08 PM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kilkenny View Post
Why wouldn't he start?
Because he was never fast or atheletic to begin with and he is not big--cannot cover elite TEs and he is now older, coming off his 2nd season ending injury and probably has lost more than a step or 5

THE HONEY BADGER IS RELENTLESS

Old 04-17-2012, 09:30 PM
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Because he was never fast or atheletic to begin with and he is not big--cannot cover elite TEs and he is now older, coming off his 2nd season ending injury and probably has lost more than a step or 5
Amen to that!! Lets just cut ties with Leonhard.
Old 04-18-2012, 09:59 AM
Hall Of Famer
Help Me - I'm Addicted

Quote:
And yet he left a huge hole that nobody on the team could fill every time he got hurt. Signing him for a 1 year deal will cost almost nothing and give the Jets their most experienced safety and a team leader back, in addition to providing a mentor and coach for any safety they draft or bring in. Why wouldn't they want that? This defense is complicated, so it makes sense to keep the guy who knows it best.
your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our
countrymen. --Samuel Adams
Old 04-18-2012, 10:44 AM
Hall Of Famer
Help Me - I'm Addicted

Jim's a ball hawk and a solid leader. He's always played flat out every time he's been on the field, based on those reasons, I want him back!

"May God have mercy upon my enemies, because I won't." General George Patton Jr
Old 04-19-2012, 09:07 AM
Hall Of Famer
Help Me - I'm Addicted

If he's cheap you bring him back and hope he's ready for opening day and can play a full season. I wouldn't overpay to keep him. I don't think you can count on him as much more than a 3rd safety. It's his intangibles that are important. You have a defense that has played 7 or more defensive backs, twice as much as the rest of the league combined, so you need a lot of "usable" DB's. Always room for a smart safety with some leadership skills as long as he's physically able...