The New York Jets HomepageThe Official New York Jets Forums
NYJets2011.com
Sponsors

Sponsors

Old 01-31-2012, 07:28 AM
Hall Of Famer
Help Me - I'm Addicted

Default Glossary

Thought I would start a thread to help people myself included to better understand the game and terminology used in football. So to get the ball rolling will throw these terms into the mix if someone is able to help clarify them for me. Thanks.

Double Coverage:

Man Coverage:

Subpackages:

Brackets:

Am sure their will be plenty more.
Old 02-22-2012, 04:22 PM
Hall Of Famer
Help Me - I'm Addicted

wow 213 other people dont know these terms either. guess i could always buy a book football for dummies lol
Old 03-29-2012, 07:23 AM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwijet View Post
Thought I would start a thread to help people myself included to better understand the game and terminology used in football. So to get the ball rolling will throw these terms into the mix if someone is able to help clarify them for me. Thanks.

Double Coverage:

Man Coverage:

Subpackages:

Brackets:

Am sure their will be plenty more.
Sorry, first time I've ever opened this forum. Ill do the best I can.

Double coverage is when 2 defenders are blanketing one receiver. Ignoring all other threats on the field until the quarterback crosses the line of scrimmage or otherwise gets rid of the football.

Man Coverage is when every defender is locked on to each player of the offense, creating a 11 1on1's , who they follow around and are responsible for. A dangerous scheme to run especially if the tight end is elligible and is matched up with a smaller slower linebacker or safety.

Subpackages - I could be wrong here, as the term is used for several things. But if I recall correctly, it is any offensive or defensive formation that is not one of the teams standard formations. It is a special package designed for a certain effect or to combat a specific offensive or defensive scheme. Wildcat is an example of a "subpackage". Specialized personnel. Dime package is an example of a subpackage on defense. It is when there are 6 defensive backs on the field at one time to combat a 4 or 5 receiver set especially when those receivers are fast and agile.

Brackets is when you have an inside and outside defender covering a specific receiver or route running tight end or running back. The difference between bracket and double coverage is that bracketing happens when the defense is back in a zone scheme, and the play calls for 2 players to drift to the edge of their zones passively doubling the aticipated target of the next pass. This is used very effectively when you can disguise the bracketand not make it too obvious. Ala Revis bracketing Dez Bryant in the Dallas game for that critical interception.

It has been a while since I have had to put words to terminology, but I believe these are accurate descriptions.

Last edited by Fuerue; 03-29-2012 at 07:30 AM.
Old 04-04-2012, 01:08 AM
Hall Of Famer
Help Me - I'm Addicted

Bit late getting this out there, but Good job Fuerue, thanks for that may post some more as I come to them.